Insurance

General chat and questions go here

Insurance

Postby S11 » 10 Feb 2011 16:46

I need to look at getting the Trek covered before I head off to Abu Dhabi but using the likes of cycle guard they want a whopping £50 a month for covering it outside the EU.

Not sure who to use but also conscious of it getting lost in transit while on the plane.

Who's the best to use????

I also need to insure it as there is a possiblity that I will be travelling with wheels that won't belong to me. I've got a disc on order that possibly won't arrive in time so I've been offered alternative wheels to ensure that the bike is race ready so cover is required....
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Re: Insurance

Postby Atomic » 10 Feb 2011 17:09

I've got mine on the house insurance for about £7 a month IIRC.

It doesn't cover travel but you could probably pay a bit more to cover this. Worth checking.
Atomic
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby S11 » 10 Feb 2011 17:24

my house insurance will only cover up to 1500...
S11

Postby jonathon.e » 10 Feb 2011 17:50

AUA,seem to be ok,but haven't claimed
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Seasider71 » 10 Feb 2011 17:51

This discussion was had last year, it seems the best one linked to your House insurance was through Marks & Spencer, it covers your bike against theft from the transition area and even damage whilst on training rides or racing, along with all the other usual cover. Coney had more detail
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby IanM » 10 Feb 2011 18:38

Seasider71 wrote:This discussion was had last year, it seems the best one linked to your House insurance was through Marks & Spencer, it covers your bike against theft from the transition area and even damage whilst on training rides or racing, along with all the other usual cover. Coney had more detail

Yup - it's the same I went for, on CH's recommendation. You don't even have to specify items under the value of £4k, yet you still have worldwide coverage for your bike. And as a bonus it was cheaper than the Natwest insurance it replaced, which would only cover bikes up to £1500.
IanM

Postby S11 » 11 Feb 2011 09:43

Okay... going to look into this. Seems like the best option.

I'll give them a call and work out what the costs will be compared to my current house insurance.

Cheers
S11

Postby combatdwarf » 11 Feb 2011 11:03

I would be extremely careful just trusting house insurance to cover using a bike for racing....most insurance policies will only cover theft if it is from your propoerty and not damage during use....fine if your bike is <£500 but not if it is a carbon beauty - I use the triathlon policy from cycleguard...as I cannot shift house insurance policies to M&S or one that has a specific racing element attached) - it is eye wateringly expensive (>£300/year for one of my bikes but it is REALLY comprehensive!) http://www.triathloninsurance.co.uk/
Husband • Father • Ironman • My triathlon journey from the rugby front row to age group ironman • http://iaindoestriathlon.blogspot.com/
Injured in 2014 so racing for FRANK water at the Bridge to Bridge • http://www.justgiving.com/iaindoesb2b
combatdwarf

Postby S11 » 11 Feb 2011 11:31

Had a look at the policy document and its neither specific on what is covered and what is not covered.

http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HIPolicy.pdf

I'll give them a call to find out. The crucial part tho is when its not in my possession ie baggage handlers as the cycleguard won't cover for that either.

I'm sure I called cycleguard last year and they confirmed this
S11

Postby Bopomofo » 11 Feb 2011 11:43

My household policy (First Direct) covers theft & damage from home and outside the home. If outside the home it has to be locked. I'm ok for training rides etc and transition, but I'm not covered if I damage it while racing.

I'm intrigued now about if it is covered while in transit. Maybe I'd have to put a lock on it?? :lol: I'll check into this.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Next

Return to General Discussion