910XT Issue

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

910XT Issue

Postby Atomic » 12 Apr 2012 19:26

Hoping for some help from the masses.

I've had my 910 for about a month now with no issue, however, this week I got the quick release kit and it now seems to switch off regularly during my rides when fixed to it.

I'm thinking that it's maybe a vibration issue.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Should I fit some foam or rubber underneath the quick release fixing to dampen the vibrations? Should I contact the shop where I got it from?

I've contacted Garmin support and am waiting on a reply.

Ta
Atomic
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Re: 910XT Issue

Postby md6 » 16 Apr 2012 15:09

Send it to me and I will have a look for you if i can't fix it i will return a replacement 405 to you :D
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Atomic » 16 Apr 2012 18:39

md6 wrote:Send it to me and I will have a look for you if i can't fix it i will return a replacement 405 to you :D

Eh.........yeah...........it's in the post.........

I've fitted some foam padding under the bracket and although it lasted a bit longer, it still cuts out. OK when on my wrist though.

Had a look on the Garmin forum and it seems that I'm not the only person that this has happened to.

I'll give Garmin a ring tomorrow to see what they say.
Atomic

Postby Bendy Ben » 01 May 2012 12:36

Any joy ?

What did they say ?
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Atomic » 01 May 2012 15:29

Got the usual reply of reseting the 910XT.

Searching on teh Garmin Forum shows up a few more people with the same issue. Seems to only happen on the QR kit.

I'll just keep it on my wrist until a fix comes through I think.

Other than that it's an awsome piece of kit.
Atomic

Postby Bopomofo » 03 May 2012 22:01

Oh dear....

My MotoACTV doesn't do this. :lol: In fact, neither of them do this... I got an additional one today as a thank you for working the stand at the London Marathon exhibition. I'm looking into how easy it is to keep creating accounts then blowing them away again. If it's all cool then I may be able to start sending it around the club membership as a trial device. Give it a go, tell me what you like, don't like etc. Still looking into it.

Anyway... how do you normally switch a 910xt off? Is it a quick press of the on-off button, or a long press of a button, or something else? Sounds like a fairly common de-bounce issue, but if the device usually needs a long press to switch off then it could be a battery terminal vibration issue too.

Whatever, I'd be sure it is a hardware problem. The device is not functioning as it should. Return it.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Atomic » 04 May 2012 09:31

Bopomofo wrote:Oh dear....

My MotoACTV doesn't do this.

Yeah, Yeah.

Neither does it do this:-

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172120434
Atomic

Postby S11 » 17 May 2012 12:04

Its common throughout the garmin series. I had the same issue with 305.

On a training ride my 305 popped off the QR and then a car ran over it... Now I don't bother with it.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby moose » 18 May 2012 17:55

Not really a help but forgot to mention when I did a charity 3 day-er early in the month, having forgot all about buying a QR mount, I opted for some pipe lagging to fasten it to the bars, worked a treat and 910 never missed a beat. :D
moose

Postby King Sad » 19 May 2012 09:16

I read that the QR mount was an issue with Garmins so as a tinkerer I have this set up

Section of Pepsi Max bottle cut to form a 'cup' which sits between the bars and secured by tape to the drink bottle. Elastic band(s) secure the watch. Watch butts up against the bottle and with the bands nice and secure but in T2 all I have to do is grab and run.

Cockpit 2.jpg

Just right click, open in new tab/window to see larger picture

Cockpit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Next

Return to Technical FAQ