Wobble Board & Ankle Strengthening

General chat and questions go here

Wobble Board & Ankle Strengthening

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 09 Mar 2011 21:33

My recent ankle injury has woken me up to the fact that I really need to do something about this recurring injury if I'm going to make IMDE in decent shape. As I understand it now I have sprained my ankle it is weaker an much more susceptible to being sprained again (I have had ~3 grade 2-3 sprains and >4 grade 1 sprains in the past 5 years thinking about it :x ) I've got Therabands that I break out every so often in an attempt at rehabbing my ankle but need to address the problem properly. A course of treatment with a physio is off the cards at the moment for financial reasons, but my understanding (some reasonable internet research has been undertaken over the years) is that I need to strengthen the joint to prevent it happening again, along with one legged drills (standing, squats etc.) wobble boards keep cropping up as a recommendation.

First questions: I think it is about time I invest in one of these (unless they come highly unrecommended). Will anyone do? Argos sell a cheap 'Davina' one I could pick up on my way home tomorrow, or do I need to invest in a better quality, wooden, one? Also size, they seem to come in 40 and 50cm sizes, I have big feet (size 12), so do I need a 50cm one?

Secondly, does anyone have a good list of exercises to do to strengthen the joint? I'm doing the standard eversion/inversion/plantar flexion/dorsal flexion exercises with the Therabands, plus the alphabet on its own when I can. Any other recommendations from people that have been here before?
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Wobble Board & Ankle Strengthening

Postby albinolock » 09 Mar 2011 21:48

Ahh the wobble board..

you've encouraged me to dig mine out and have a go.. suffice to say I've losts lots of balance ability since I used to regualrily use it!!

I've got size 12/13 feet and the 40cm was big enough.. I've got the larger ball on the bottom, not the tiny one... I would recommend the wooden one, it believe my make is gonge.

I had to use it to build propreceptive balance after my rugby Vs knee accident a few years ago..

simple exercises consisted of just balancing for a specificied period of time, 1 legged and 2 legged, then moving on to single leg squats. using a broom and twisting and placing to each of my sides while squatting. Turn it into a competiton when friends and families come around.. it can be humorous seeing people use it for the first time... even more fun after beer :lol: :lol:

I think I might actually start using mine again as a bit of fun and injury prevention too..

Scotty
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Jonhinio » 09 Mar 2011 21:54

Don't know if I'm on the right track but was told a mini trampette was good for strengthening the ankles. Picked up one for WAT from eBay for a fiver
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby andyb99 » 09 Mar 2011 22:25

wobble board supposed to be good for core eh??

linky?? where can i buy one

oh..i googled it...found one
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Rhino » 10 Mar 2011 00:35

So not the type used by Rolf Harris then... ;)
Rhino
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby BexH » 10 Mar 2011 02:05

What about a Bosu ball? I've got some exciting plans once I'm qualified as a PT with a mate involving similar core type activities. Trial sesh this sat early morning.. Gonna be frikin cold in the sea!!!!
BexH
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby Britspin » 10 Mar 2011 09:29

Wobble boards/cushions/bosu all good...but before you climb on board make sure you have sufficient stabilty just standing on your own one foot or you will stand a good chance of re injuring. Like all physio/rehab its a process & the first bits always seem a little remedial. So simpl;e 1 legged stands, yup thats it, stand upright one knee at hip level hold as long as poss (time it if you want) switch feet..aim to extend time up to 30-60seconds, then do it with you eyes shut..same progression in time, then do it with movement of the upper body, smoothly move you arms around to shift your CoG, next move more randomly, less smoothly. If you can enlist a helper get them to (lightly) push you off balance (then you are less likely to know what is coming), get them to throw a soft ball for you to catch..all whilst satnding on one leg & switching legs.
One leg squats are good..again slow & bog standard squats to begin with, add a small dumbbell, add a reach across the body to touch the toe (R hand to L foot & reverse), add a light dumbbell, Single leg squat with upper body rotation, ie squat but turn at waist away from squatting leg, then to squatting leg, that should get you pretty strong, then go back to the start & add a wobble board.
Britspin
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby flavadave » 10 Mar 2011 09:56

Good reply Britspin... I was just to go online and buy one.

I'm the classic triathlete. Always looking for the quick fix and latest gadget :roll:
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Mar 2011 12:35

Britspin wrote:Wobble boards/cushions/bosu all good...but before you climb on board make sure you have sufficient stabilty just standing on your own one foot or you will stand a good chance of re injuring.

Beat me to it.

I got told off by the Physio for using the wobble board to soon.

Not actually returned to it - one legged squats make me wobble enough - still very week around the old knee.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Conehead » 10 Mar 2011 12:43

I've emailed you.

My skateboarders love smashing their ankles.
Sir Conehead

Next

Return to General Discussion