Famous Five

General chat and questions go here

Famous Five

Postby Jimba » 14 Jul 2018 19:07

Well, not that famous really. Here is what I have got coming up:

28 July Heckington 10mile Road race...flattest race in the world, done it before around 1.10
August kimbolton half marathon, mostly flat except for killer hill towards end...done it before around 1.32
September Rutland half marathon, not seen the course, some lumps but ok, not done before.
October Great Eastern Run (Peterborough....nothing like the great northern...obviously) flat I think 91m elevation..1.28.54
November St Neots half marathon...not flat, but last 5 miles all downhill I think...not done before

The big question is whether I will have found my lost pace, the days of 19.39 for 5k and sub 1.30 half mara seem to be long gone....even though only 2 yrs ago.......fucking age!! :lol: :lol: am way nearer 60 than 50 :evil:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Famous Five

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Jul 2018 17:33

I feel your pain....
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 16 Jul 2018 11:00

Famous Five, you don't have a couple of other races you are keeping a secret to make it seven?

Old age, hey, why bother what you can't stop, plenty better things to be interested in ;)

'Youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and treachery'

'No one has ever said "yippee I'm getting older" '

Despite accelerating rapidly towards old age, I am reluctant to find the brake pedal.

It may be a long slog to get to the top of the hill, but, it will be a hell of a ride on the way down.

The past is a country we can never visit, just look back at, in photographs of the mind, the future is the unexplored territory, to embrace and discover, not compare.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 16 Jul 2018 20:41

Famous five happen to be consecutive months.....if it goes well I may try the secret seven next year.....if it goes badly I might just do the dynamic duo :D

Wise words Jon......it’s still a bummer :lol:

Once I have properly tapered this will be a good test if I am indeed on the long slope downhill or whether it is merely a lumpy road I am travelling. 8-)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Jul 2018 06:03

Jimba wrote:Famous five happen to be consecutive months.....if it goes well I may try the secret seven next year.....if it goes badly I might just do the dynamic duo :D

Wise words Jon......it’s still a bummer :lol:

Once I have properly tapered this will be a good test if I am indeed on the long slope downhill or whether it is merely a lumpy road I am travelling. 8-)

:D
In all seriousness, I think it is a great test, races of that distance in consecutive months, will show how the body recovers, at a guess it will have a number of the same runners competing, so you can place yourself against your fellow competitors on different courses, a slower time on a harder course can give a better placing. Best of luck ( not that you will need it ), I am sure your training will have covered all the bases, and show those youngsters a thing or too.

And yes, I will admit it, growing old does truly both suck and blow :cry:
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 26 Jul 2018 08:25

I could probably cope with a gradual slowing down. It's the complete stops that annoy me.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 26 Jul 2018 09:27

jonathon.e wrote:growing old does truly both suck and blow :cry:

The ignominy of old age:
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 26 Jul 2018 17:38

People want to see Mr.B even after retirement age, nobody wants me even before retirement age :(
The concert is good, he is still a technical genius, although, me thinks that he does the Rainbow gigs to appease the rock fans, who don't see his brilliance in Blackmores Night, and to get more cash of course. But, whilst you still have it, you may as well rock it.

Getting old is much the same as LD racing, 10% effort, 20% nutrition and 70% mental fortitude.
jonathon.e

Return to General Discussion