It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

General chat and questions go here

Re: It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Apr 2018 21:25

Jimba wrote:“As for my training, well, not as well as I would have liked......”

It was ever thus :D

We all know the quotes about how long plans survive first contact, but I am supremely confident in your ability to respond 8-)

:)
Kind words, It's all about the journey for me, although reading some research about the course, apparently on the bike route is Mathew Flinders Drive. Mathew Flinders was an Australian person of note who has a lot of places named after him, streets, roads, mountain ranges, vertical streets that would not look out of place in Yorkshire near Jacks palace with cobbles, I have packed extra socks just in case.
The bike got freighted out today, so hopefully it will arrive before the race.

The race has always been on my to do list, maybe the abnormally high temperatures will drop in a weeks time, then I just have to worry about sharks, snakes and the highly dangerous 'Drop Bears',

A link to an article I found about the race,
http://www.ironchicks.com.au/ten-reason ... australia/
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 24 Apr 2018 22:32

:lol: :lol: I had to google drop bear.....never heard of them.....be careful out there :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 05 May 2018 05:24

Have a great race, I am sure you will run the perfect race, have a good one Jimba.
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 05 May 2018 08:43

Thanks Jon, looking warm here too. :o
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jimba » 07 May 2018 17:23

I will do a full report later, the highlights are...the first half went well, 40 odd seconds inside target pace, 1.39 something, then I carried the wall around with me for the second half in something like 2.10 :lol:

To be honest it was a high risk strategy, I wanted 3.20 so there was no point being conservative due to the heat so went out on pace and hoped it would last......obviously it didn’t and it was pretty messy for the last 6 miles.

Not disappointed, I didn’t respect the distance and got a good rogering because of that :lol: :lol:

3.49.37 I think, 24/235 V50.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 May 2018 07:56

Well done. Tricky conditions. I read an interesting blog about the london marathon (need to find the link). The author was saying that it wasn't that the London Marathon was particularly hot, it was that all the training had been done in the cold, and this was the first run in the warm, so the body just wasn't used to it. Train in it, race in it, as Ye Olde Dinosaure likes to remind us.

I expect that was the case here.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 08 May 2018 08:31

That is a great result Jimba, first shot at the distance, an unknown quantity, and unexpected weather conditions to add to it. Always difficult to judge or predict, chapeau sir, racing a marathon is not easy. What is next on the hit list?
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 08 May 2018 18:58

Jack - I suspect that there is a very large grain of truth in that, I have probably only had one decent run that was even warm in the last 8months. HR was at least 10bpm above what it should have been from the off.

Jon - thanks, I have missed many targets before but never been so relaxed about it! 8-) As for what’s next, 15mins after finishing I am quoted as saying “don’t ever let me enter one of those again” 3 hours later when asked if I was doing another it had changed to “not anytime soon” by the evening it was “a more structured training plan next time” today I am itching for an autumn re-match! :lol:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Kevy427 » 09 May 2018 13:02

Well done, Jimba. Running a Marathon isn't a small undertaking and you did really well in the heat along with dissing the distance ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Previous

Return to General Discussion