Books in a digital age

General chat and questions go here

Books in a digital age

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Mar 2018 21:35

If anyone is in need of a little motivation in these snowy days a couple of books that may be of interest, despite having a reader on my iPad I still prefer the tactile feel of a book, although I occasionally revert to audible for long drives,

First up is
The Pants of perspective.

A tale of someone who decides on a challenge of going from the Southern tip of New Zealand to the Northern tip along a designated long distance route, the book has its faults, an occaisional map, would be nice and photos ( but you can use the website and FB page to get a general gist of things), dealing with the highs and lows of ultra distance, and if you have ever been to NZ it is a nice book to reminisce with.

https://annamcnuff.com/books/

Second is

life is too short to go so f.Cking slow.

This is a great book for both athlete and athlete supporter or partner, the pain of Triathlon and its pressure on relationships along with true friendship, the highs and the true lows that happen when you least expect them, that sneak up and envelope you without you noticing, probably one of my favourite reads this year. The beauty of it is the ability to relate to the storyline, worth a look.

https://www.velopress.com/books/lifes-t ... king-slow/

Anybody els or any other recommendations?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Books in a digital age

Postby Kevy427 » 09 Mar 2018 21:06

You can’t beat a good fingering along with the heady smells of tightly bound leather

Of late I’ve read the following:

Maverick One
Zero Six Bravo
Operation Certain Death
Danger Close

All very, very good books, and sourced from World of Books. Much more immersive than staring at a screen
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 10 Mar 2018 17:35

Ooh, nice choices Kev.

A nice selection of aviation related tales are Lightning Boys, Buccaneer Boys and Phantom Boys, depending on your favourite aircraft. Although due to continuing training at work a large number of books are aviation accident related at the moment :roll:
jonathon.e

Postby Kevy427 » 10 Mar 2018 21:46

I think reading your accident books would be rather entertaining...? “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you” from the driver of the tug having reversed over the microlight

I’ll have a look at those books in your list
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Mar 2018 12:59

Kevy427 wrote:I think reading your accident books would be rather entertaining...? “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you” from the driver of the tug having reversed over the microlight

I’ll have a look at those books in your list

:lol:
The paradox is that within our safety conscious environment it is the absurdly funny incidents that slip through " because it is so unlikely to happen "
A nice book is this, as it does just state the facts and narrative,
https://www.worldofbooks.com/emergency- ... gJo0PD_BwE
jonathon.e

Return to General Discussion