Southwell Sprint 2016

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Southwell Sprint 2016

Postby King Sad » 02 May 2016 20:01

Where: Southwell Leisure Centre
When: 17 April 2015
Organiser: One Step Beyond
Course details: Based at Southwell leisure centre, pool swim, undulating out and back bike course, undulating 2 lap run
Distance(s): 400m (pool) swim; 17.6 km bike; 5km run
Marshalling: Traffic control at bike exit, marshals in transition, at junctions and at other points along course
Facilities: Leisure centre facilities, free parking, toilets, massage, trade stands
Technical: Chip timing
Freebies: T shirt, Quavers and some orange glucose tabs.

Getting old is pants.

All my lumps n bumps n buggered legs n chest infections over the last 6 months have been really inconvenient, I couldn’t train effectively, but that is life. Crack on.

Things started off OK, did the Dukeries 10 mile x country and the Rother Vally Duathlon so a good start ... Then.... started getting haemorrhages in my eyes, blood pressure was spiking ... up to 192 and had a couple of ‘turns’ at work. Had blood tests, an ECG and 24 hour blood pressure monitor with more blood tests and echo cardiogram to be scheduled. GP was happy for me to resume training, happy boy. Result of all this? Not a lot of swimming, a little bit of spin/turbo but fortunately some running.

The Southwell Triathlon attracts the usual wide mix of abilities and because of its location there is a solid core of top notch triathletes from West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, East Midlands and the East of England. It is run twice a year; once in April or May as the Southwell triathlon and in September as the Last Minute triathlon.

So rocked up to Southwell. Perfect weather but somehow not feeling in the mood.

Swim
Splashed up and down, feeling quite good, Got out ran to T1 about 30s off my PB, no surprise, about mid ranking.

T1
Felt quite slick and out before a couple of faster swimmers in my wave.

Bike
Out of T1, feet in shoes, short section before joining the main road then up the first hill then uppy downy for the next 8.5k. Got held up a couple of times by traffic but otherwise I enjoyed it.Slight delay at the roundabout and then back. Into Thurgaston and then the uppy, uupy, downy bit starts. Again it felt OK and having a good time. Bus slowed things down a bit. Back to the turn in to the dismount point, came in a bit fast and into a small queue so that I only got one foot out so unclipped the other and ran in with one shoe on.
35.07, 2.30 off my PB, even so just off top third.

T2
Again slickish except for being a dork with one cycle shoe on.

Run
Two circuits, uppy downy. Feeling quite good and again enjoyed it.
23.12, just under 2 minutes off PB and again about mid placed overall.

Overall
1.10.15 just under 4 mins or so off PB and overall ranking just off top third.16/29 in AG

Thinking back I enjoyed it, didn’t hurt ... Not a bad hurt but the good, productive type of hurt so could have pulled back a minute or so, Never mind, sunny weather, little wind, enjoyable and nothing hurt or damaged. I dumped the data as I didn’t want to spoil the enjoyment I had so no recriminations. A bit drastic? Well I would only go over it and become unhappy. I was slow, no fire in the belly but I had a good day, that’s got to be a bonus. Now to continue with keeping myself well and build up for my races later in the year.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Southwell Sprint 2016

Postby jonathon.e » 03 May 2016 10:54

Great race John, well done :D

Getting old sucks, you only remember to do the race report when you are in the middle of doing the next race ;)

Nice time on Sunday, hope the time matched your expectation, and didn't freeze up on the bike!!!
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Seasider71 » 03 May 2016 12:50

Well done John,

I am hoping to be back in some sort of fit state to take on the Last Minute Tri as what will probably be my only event of the season.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CCS » 03 May 2016 15:28

King Sad wrote:Getting old is pants.

Indeed!
Look after yourself (that has to be first priority) - good effort though - and enjoying it has always got to be the most important bit!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby kfjatek » 04 May 2016 01:04

Doesn't sound like such a bad race at all - well done!

:ugeek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 May 2016 15:21

King Sad wrote:When: 17 April 2015

King Sad wrote:
Getting old is pants.

It's actually worse than you think....

Well done though. Rage, rage against the dying of the light etc.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to Race Reports