Ewan's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Ewan's Training Log

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Mar 2016 23:47

We'll send you a postcard.

I like HotWing

Didn't know what it meant either.

Trying to work out what a HotWings might be now....
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 16 Mar 2016 01:35

Bed time.

A large part of this exercise is to teach myself R. I've used it a bit ages ago but I'm embarrassingly bad.

Here is a quick standard box plot (minimum, first quartile, median, third quartile, and maximum) of all the data pictured on the previous page. Again, it suggests that I am able to detect a difference even if the data quality is pretty poor.

I really wanted to plot mean and SD, but this is enough for now.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 16 Mar 2016 19:40

two more graphs...

Mean CdA (+/- 1SD) for all runs, grouped by position:

Mean CdA (+/- 1SD) for all runs, grouped by position and direction:

So, at least I can tell you which way the wind was blowing that day! When you look at the second plot there do seem to be some slight differences between the positions, but it's hard to say whether it will be statistically detectable.
Ewan

Postby Ewan » 01 Apr 2016 23:43

Humph*:

If things work out tomorrow, I'll try to test 2 different stem lengths on my TT bike.

*of course taking into account differences in power meter readings (and I'm not convinced that mine wasn't reading high)
Ewan

Postby IanM » 02 Apr 2016 07:58

I've had the same thoughts about my Vectors recently. Have been planning to do a static calibration test and now have 3x 4kg kettlebells zip tied together to take to the post office to weigh. Although power/speed relationship on the turbo has been consistent back to October.

Are you trying different stem angles, or just length? Would have thought it might be too windy today to see the difference unless it makes a significant change to your position?

When's your next race?
IanM

Postby Worrying Will » 02 Apr 2016 08:51

Chris was having issues with his vectors

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 02 Apr 2016 09:01

Worrying Will wrote:Chris was having issues with his vectors

They're from Garmin, issues guaranteed. I'm in a slightly better mood with my Vectors and Edge 510 after taking the risky step of updating the firmware on both, but definitely looking to go non Garmin PM and head unit in the future unless they improve.
IanM

Postby Worrying Will » 02 Apr 2016 09:04

He was spacer related. Put one in and the numbers improved

Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 02 Apr 2016 09:52

Well that's an RTFM issue ;)
IanM

Postby Ewan » 02 Apr 2016 10:58

Two thoughts:

1, broadly speaking I'm pretty happy with my vectors but only having one powermeter I'm sometimes anxious about their accuracy, and occasionally I get the odd bit of weird data. In particular with this ride I looked at my CP chart for the past few months and decided that 255-260w was a reasonable target for the ride. In the end I spent the entire first leg backing off the power because I was worried about blowing, but I was consistently 20w higher than my target. Either I'm considerably stronger than I'd guessed, or something is fishy. The other thing that leads me to be sceptical is that my power balance was a consistent 55% when it is usually spot on 50% during TTs... Maybe there was something off about the calibration that day.

2, I know strava data is pretty rubbish and powermeter accuracy may vary, but I'm fed up of always having a low speed:power ratio compared to other racers. I'm only trying different lengths for now because that is what I have to hand, although I'd like to try a -17 stem to drop my bars c.1cm. I'm not sure if I'll detect the change in stem length, but I've recently been feeling like I'm perched on the front of my pads so it might also be more comfortable too.
Ewan

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs