Trainer Road

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Trainer Road

Postby Kevy427 » 15 Oct 2015 20:46

Who uses it and has it helped your training by keeping you on track?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Re: Trainer Road

Postby IanM » 15 Oct 2015 20:50

I did - don't any more though. Just as easy to know what I'm doing and press the lap button on my Garmin, which costs £0/month.

If I was doing Sufferfest videos still I'd use it though, as they're great for the sheer amount of effort variation in most of the videos, and you can see how close to the intended effort you got across various sessions.
IanM

Postby SickBoy » 15 Oct 2015 23:04

I use it, to give me numbers on the turbo as I don't have a power meter but I don't think it helps keep me consistent. I'm thinking about using one of the training plans you get. It does remind me I need to do some training when I see it on my credit card statement.

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby CCS » 15 Oct 2015 23:17

I use it loads.
I quite like the user interface - great for interval sessions; quick to set up your own sessions based on whatever appears in my plan. Couldn't have done without it when I was working with virtual power; still like it now I have a power meter (and real power is a lot more difficult than virtual!). Also like that I can use it via an iPhone app - which I always use for race warmups. Sure I only pay about $10 per month.... works really well for me!
Sure I probably don't need it so much now... but will probably stick with it - ans as Ian says, it's good for Sufferfests (though I tend to only use these as substitutes for endurance sessions on the road when I can't be arsed to go outdoors, so I tend to dial back the power to 85 or 90% of what TR recommends just so I don't kill myself).
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Bopomofo » 16 Oct 2015 01:33

Love it. And worth every penny.

It keeps me honest in training sessions and their training plans make sense to me. I've even kept up with the £6/month payments during periods when I'm not even using it, because I want to encourage them.

Sufferfest are vomit-inducing difficult using TR to keep you honest, which I think is the point. Dial them back to 85-90% during the winter, I reckon.

If you don't have a power meter then TrainerRoad is, imho, the only way to stay consistent and honest on your turd-o-strainer.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Seasider71 » 16 Oct 2015 08:35

I did use it until I switched to bkool - it did what it said on the tin, in regards to not having a power meter - don't try to compare your results with others though as they will be wildly different, although I used to use it with rollers and not the turbo which wan't good for doing the one leg drills it recommends.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby IanM » 16 Oct 2015 12:04

Seasider71 wrote:although I used to use it with rollers and not the turbo which wan't good for doing the one leg drills it recommends.

On the contrary - one legged drills on rollers certainly get you thinking about the smoothness of your pedal stroke!
IanM

Postby Worrying Will » 16 Oct 2015 12:30

I use it a lot. I use the custom feature the most and create the session that Chris has given me into it. What makes it better is you can type messages in to it so as your are riding you can at least have a little chuckle to yourself.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Kevy427 » 16 Oct 2015 16:41

Hmmmm, more sensible advice from The Club. Things need to change
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 17 Oct 2015 09:30

The cost puts me off. And the need to have a PC. And a turbo.

Other than that, it seems pretty good.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to Technical FAQ