Garmin connecting to PC (again)

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Garmin connecting to PC (again)

Postby CCS » 23 Sep 2015 15:08

OK - so today's challenge in my perennial quest to get Garmins to do what I want....

Discovered that my Garmin was out of juice - and rather than using this as an excuse to demolish the remainder of the bag of croissants that I might have been snacking on, I decided to borrow the BAT's 810 (or something like that)....
Anyway, is there a way to get a Garmin that you might occasionally use to upload data to your account? I may have just uploaded all the BAT's old data to my account in addition to the one ride I wanted - and suspect that I may have also messed up all his Strava uploading setup...

Any top tips as to how I can rectify things before he finds out...

... and also how I might get this working going forward, as in my old age, I did quite like the large display screen.....

Thanks!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Garmin connecting to PC (again)

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Sep 2015 16:07

I just plug the Garmin Edge device in via USB, then select "upload from file" option in Strava. Then navigate to the most recent .flt file, probably in Garmin/Activities on the Edge device which will be mount as a USB drive.

I suspect this would work well with the BAT 810 without having to muck up his settings (in future).
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 23 Sep 2015 16:10

Jack Hughes wrote:I just plug the Garmin Edge device in via USB, then select "upload from file" option in Strava. Then navigate to the most recent .flt file, probably in Garmin/Activities on the Edge device which will be mount as a USB drive.

I suspect this would work well with the BAT 810 without having to muck up his settings (in future).

Completely agree with this.

Being able to do everything via USB cable and direct file access makes Garmin usage approximately 473x more satisfying than compared to faffing about with the Forerunners.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Sep 2015 16:12

The simple trick with the forerunners, is to not actually do any running. I think I have only one activity lurking somewhere since they dropped the insecure plugin thing back in June..
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 23 Sep 2015 17:07

Aah... will try that next time.
Now just need to get rid of all his data that seems to have invited itself into my Strava / Training Peaks (well, actually, there isn't much of it - but it's a pain to try and locate/delete).
Lesson learned!
(and you have no idea how difficult it was trying to find the right sort of USB cable to help me mess things up in the first place!)

Damned technology!!

Thanks!
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Sep 2015 18:08

I was just going to say something facetious like just order by suffer score and look for high ones with a low speed.

But, if you just look at the names of the .flt files in the activities folder, that will give you the date/time of each activity which should be easy to locate.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 24 Sep 2015 09:09

Perhaps I should just adopt the Garmin as mine to solve all the conversation.... though the colour scheme is all wrong for either of my bikes...
CCS

Postby IanM » 24 Sep 2015 09:28

Edge 500 in Aldi today for £80, in a very neutral colour! https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... -edge-500/

Quite a bit smaller than the 810, but at least it's USB so no faffing about.
IanM

Postby CCS » 24 Sep 2015 09:58

800 is USB too... didn't stop me messing things up! Tempting though... but this is Surrey and it would appear that we don't do Aldi here... in fact, otherwise I might snap one up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Sep 2015 10:29

Not sure if the 500 fully supports all the latest power stuff (i.e. left/right pedals etc).
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Next

Return to Technical FAQ