Road to Redemption

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Road to Redemption

Postby S11 » 09 Sep 2015 13:38

er...hello.

Been a bit of a while since I poked my nose into the forum but thought I would start with my future intentions. Training is a bit stop start - I am coming to the end of a 2yr period of study to gain my Chartered Arbiter status (law) with a view to moving to Arbitration in the future. So this year training has been on the low priority side of things and I thought I would use the time to fall back in love with triathlon. I had been hating it and everything associated with it for a while ( I go through these ups and downs every now and then - some more catastrophic than others). So this year it consisted of the just keeping injury free and trying to be consistent, which I was - consistently slow. I did have an ok bike split at the Deva but can do better. However, my season ended at Ripon where I suffered from coming out of the swim and being sick a few times - can't blame the water but the ammonia from the bottom of the lake was rotten. So my season ended in July as I moved house to a new area and thats taken a good month to sort out. I had hoped to get a little bit fitter and race the Sundowner - caught a fecking cold that wiped me for two weeks.

So what now. I need to scratch an itch. Its a 5 yr itch called Ironman. I am an Ironman...but didn't really feel that I gave it everything. My aim was to finish and I did. So I'm contemplating going back to see what I can do. Trouble I can't decide to whether to do Bolton or not. What puts me off is the upredictable British weather but the race was fantastic. So over the next week or so I am looking to see which races to aim for.

So since this is a training/ blog then tonights training:

Rest.

haha.

I'll be driving back from working away from home so recover tonight then I start the Road to Redemption properly.

Ofcourse it will be interesting to read how my blog unfolds and compare what I had hoped to do against what I actually do.

Now...do we have bcttt kit in red and gold? :lol: :lol: :lol:
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Re: Road to Redemption

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 09 Sep 2015 14:09

Welcome back S11. Sorry to hear you fell out of love with Tri, I think many of us have been there at some point and I hope you find the love that got you into it in the first place. Plenty of Ironmans now, think Bendy is planning Netherlands, and Barcelona is another good one with better weather prospects.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 09 Sep 2015 14:52

Good to see you back - will be watching with interest!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Big_Show » 10 Sep 2015 06:44

Good to see you back mate, all the best for the IM training.
Big_Show

Postby S11 » 10 Sep 2015 08:26

Thanks peeps....I have a proper buzz right now -just a shame its coming to the dark season.

So tonight I'm heading to the pool for the first time in about 4 weeks. Nothing major - roughly 2k pyramid set to blow away the cob webs. The annoying thing for me was the swimming felt like it had taken a turn for the better right before I caught that cold. In any event I've drawn a line under what has gone before as I'm starting from the very beginning. Although I will have to share the pool with the tri-club. Ordinarily I am not at home on a Thursday anymore so its good to be home and at the local pool. Will be interesting to see what sort of times I put out.
S11

Postby S11 » 14 Sep 2015 15:22

Pool on Friday was a laugh. Could hardly even muster up 100m continuous never mind a pyramid set. The pool was completely empty - just me in at one point which was a strange and eary feeling. Normally if I'm swimming I like to try and find someone of similar pace and go with that but for whatever reason just felt empty. Still got just under 2k in 37mins. I do need to get my CSS so that I can pace better - will get that worked out this week

Sat was a planned 2hrs steady - Got on the bike and again just nothing there. Took about 20mins to find rhythm - I think the issue is that I moved to a new area on the coast. Literally every direction is hills galore. Not a bad thing I might add as my hill climbing is ropey at best. However nice 29miles in 1hr 45 with an ave HR of about 150bppm and power at Np of 200w. Was more sweet spot training at the moment. Although the numbers are largely meaningless until I do a bike test this week.

Sunday morning - weather looked awesome. 5 mins into the ride....weather was not awesome. Soaked completely to the skin and had all the wrong bike clothes on. Still kept going and felt not to bad. Quite an enjoyable 35miles had it not been for the rain.

Tonight - run test. Should be interesting as I did this 4 weeks ago and two days after it I was floored with the cold and my asthma was killing me.

My asthma was that bad I was put on 12x2 puffs of steriod inhaler and also tablets, I recall running and really struggling for breath so I will be keen to see if there is a huge difference. I am hopeful.
S11

Postby S11 » 15 Sep 2015 07:59

Was a very interesting run test last night. Its very clear I am quite unfit but I did expect this. I could hardly hold any sort of pace under 8min miles so plenty of work to be done.

Interestingly when I last did the run test, right before I got the cold I really struggled but my HR was much more consistent and higher compared to a few weeks ago.

Plenty of work to be done - got to get some strength back in me. Sitting at this desk all day is doing me no good at all.
S11

Postby S11 » 17 Sep 2015 11:58

So back in the pool last night - the Dunbar Leisure centre. Was actually really good as there was literally no-one in my lane all night. Just a shame the pool closes in 6 weeks for a refurb.

Last night was more about sticking to my CSS - the main set being 8 x 200m. - Interesting sticking to my CSS meant that the pace was pretty much consistent.

On the downside...I've not been using noseclips and I'm all blocked up.

Never happy... :)

On the plus side I have entered Ironman UK....so the road to redemption really starts on Monday when I've completed all the testing.

Driving home tonight so Bike Test tomorrow. Will be interesting to see my FTP
S11

Postby andyb99 » 17 Sep 2015 15:20

great to see you back mate and glad you're in for IMUK...of course i raced the same day as you and it was a shadow of what the race is now. of course there are now 4 big hills instead of 3 (2 x 2 hills instead of 3 x 1 hill) and i think its a bit tougher than it was ....but a lot better supported now...especially on the two hills mentioned.

so good luck with the training, if you wanna drive to mine with yer bike one weekend for a nice easy recce then of course you are welcome to stay with me and Cat and we'll take you round...but if you just wanna 'do it on the day (not like there are no hills where you live) then we'll see you in T1
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby S11 » 17 Sep 2015 16:09

Yeah had to go away for a bit but back on it again. Setting some foundations which I hope will stand me in good stead.

I'll probably take you up on that nearer the time - its been that long since I did IMUK that I can't even remember much about sheephouse lane - that was the only section I recall being supported.

:D
S11

Next

Return to Training Logs