How to store drinks and tool-kit on a TT bike?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: How to store drinks and tool-kit on a TT bike?

Postby King Sad » 09 Apr 2015 06:27

For Middle Distance I have a bottle on the downturn, drinking from a bottle between the bars. Standard bottle held in place by velcro cable ties with a 10 mm tube fed through a 9mm hole to ensure watertight fit. Replen through a another home made device, if interested I'll post details. Flat kit in seat mounted bottle.

It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby CCS » 09 Apr 2015 08:41

Speedfil recommendation is spot on - and you don't even to get all slow and un-aero to drink (in fact, I smugly laugh at folks slowing down to enjoy their beverage of choice as I whizz past). Also has the fun factor that you can refill it on the go as you ride through an aid station (it does help if you remember to open the bottle first).
Only downside is that on cruddy roads, it can sometimes spit at you as you go over bumps.... thought I was suffering from some awful rash on my legs yesterday, but it turns out that it was just red energy drink splatter...
Bendy's XLab on the seatpost is also a great tip (can fit in spare tube, tyre levers, and some of that new fangled CO2 stuff).
Gel in tri suit pocket if required (though I have started going for energy drink instead and bypassing that) - or traditional top tube picnic basket also works well.
For Sportives, would recommend full old lady style basket, with cake, hip flask, and a nice picnic blanket...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Bopomofo » 09 Apr 2015 10:57

CCS wrote:Only downside is that on cruddy roads, it can sometimes spit at you as you go over bumps...

Yes, I've heard lots of reports of this. MtB reckons that Speedfil bottles are a major cause of knackered head and crank bearings on TT bikes - sugary goop getting into the whirly bits.

I didn't read Bendy's comments properly: that tool bag that can squeeze between the rear bottle-holder and post could be handy. I'd still like to keep something on the downtube for aero reasons.

The horizontal bottle on the aero bars is also interesting.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 09 Apr 2015 11:07

Bopomofo wrote:Yes, I've heard lots of reports of this. MtB reckons that Speedfil bottles are a major cause of knackered head and crank bearings on TT bikes - sugary goop getting into the whirly bits.

Water in Speedfil, and sugary goop in gel flask (I use the soft ones that you can squeeze 4 gels into) in pocket then?
Have to admit that I don't usually put energy drink in the Speedfil, as I am too lazy to wash the think out much (yesterday was an exception, as had a 4 hr ride to do, and only had the choice of a TT bike, and previous experimentation has proved that my back position on that doesn't work with a Camelbak, which is my usual backup beverage holder...)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 09 Apr 2015 11:31

Bottle mount between the tri bars? Unless I've missed something. That would be your second bottle and/or get a 1 litre bottle for the frame (elite maxi corsa).
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby chappers » 09 Apr 2015 15:25

Xlab gorilla cages with ickle bag for tube, levers, patches and co2. Gives u 3 bottles with the option to sacrifice one for a "tool bottle". Stuff this business about aero speed fills .. my back is glad of the rest when I drink ;) U can borrow mine as I won't need them until September (if I'm brave and do helvellyn on my tt .. or indefinitely if I'm broken by then, which is likely)
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby Tritans » 09 Apr 2015 16:00

My mate uses this. Not had a ejection issue to date, and he somehow fits a tube, gas and co2 between the launchers.

I think this is what I'm going for, as I have a phobia about putting cages on the tubes and am not convinced about the bottle between bars solution. But would welcome opinions.

http://www.bontrager.com/model/07758

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Kevy427 » 09 Apr 2015 17:29

Tritans wrote:But would welcome opinions

You're a pie-eating, hairy, knuckle dragging oaf
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Bopomofo » 09 Apr 2015 20:44

Kevy427 wrote:
Tritans wrote:But would welcome opinions

You're a pie-eating, hairy, knuckle dragging oaf

Ha ha. He's got you pegged.

Oh, err, maybe not in the sense that urban dictionary might see it. :shock:

Tritans wrote:My mate uses this. Not had a ejection issue to date, and he somehow fits a tube, gas and co2 between the launchers.

I think this is what I'm going for, as I have a phobia about putting cages on the tubes and am not convinced about the bottle between bars solution. But would welcome opinions.

http://www.bontrager.com/model/07758

Ummm, Ok. This is what I currently have :oops: I was given it as a sympathy freebie by MtB during my warranty issues with the Argon18. I have to admit to not road testing it yet as I haven't been able to squeeze a toolkit onto the bike as well as the dual launcher. I'd be interested to know how your mate does it, Tritans. For racing middle distance I'd normally carry 2xtubes, tyre levers & pump - I haven't made the leap to CO2 yet. When training I'll add a puncture repair kit, multi-tool and a tenner.

There's some research that says the most efficient place to stick a bottle (careful Kevy :lol: ) is in your frame triangle as it actually has an aero benefit. Wish I'd not bothered spending all that cash on a nice aero-profiled frame now. :lol: :lol: Also, sticking bottles behind you disrupts the airflow and creates drag.

I'd counter that argument by saying "Look at me, for feck's sake".

So, maybe I should go with my existing dual bottle launcher and find somewhere else to stick my tools thus keeping my front end clean. Oh dear, that'll set Kevy off again... :lol:
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby Tritans » 09 Apr 2015 21:11

If you read the xlab blurb they claim bottles behind your arse gives the best aero benefit. Hence why the pro field use them. But in reality ?

I'll try and get a pic of my mates set up.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

PreviousNext

Return to Technical FAQ