How to store drinks and tool-kit on a TT bike?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

How to store drinks and tool-kit on a TT bike?

Postby Bopomofo » 08 Apr 2015 20:47

So, you've got a TT bike which has room for a drink bottle (size & shape may vary) on the down-tube, not on the seat-tube as well owing to aero-bollocks.

You want to carry more water, but you also want to carry spare tub[e]s, a multi-tool, tyre levers.

A behind-the-seat dual bottle launcher might work, but where do the tools go? Or sacrifice one drink bottle place for a bottle full o'tools.

Yes, I know Speed Concept has the draft-box thing that you can fill with rattly crud (dunno if it is even compatible with behind-saddle bottles, but I don't much care as I haven't got one), so lets assume any other bike.

Assume the option to stuff your rear jersey pockets with tubes, pumps, levers etc is NOT an option as you'll have just been for a swim...

So, what do you do to tool up for a longer distance race/ride when you want to maximise your fluid carrying options?
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: How to store drinks and tool-kit on a TT bike?

Postby IanM » 08 Apr 2015 21:03

There's some top tube bags that might fit the bill. But I've had no need for one as my TT bike is the estate model ;)

Eg http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... lsrc=aw.ds & http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-tri-bag-with-rain-cover/
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Apr 2015 21:11

Trailer?

Speedfil is large capacity.

Took kit under saddle.

One of those cage things that hang off the back of the seat post/saddle and can take a couple of bottles. Have a bottle shaped toolkit it one of them.

Speedfil was ample for a HIM.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Bendy Ben » 08 Apr 2015 21:25

A few examples Gary

Training ? Pah! Overrated
Bendy Ben

Postby Bendy Ben » 08 Apr 2015 21:26

The inverted x lab large pocket rocket works fantastically well I have to say.
You can even mount a rear bottle cage holder above it too if need be.

Training ? Pah! Overrated
Bendy Ben

Postby Kevy427 » 08 Apr 2015 21:39

By drinks holders, are we talking champagne flutes or cocktail glasses for summer rides?

Speedfill just about does me for 40 miles providing I'm hydrated adequately before I start. Spare tubes, tools, makeup etc. in a bento box on the top tube. Pump in back pocket of jersey. Or simply have your butler ride a suitable distance behind you with all your necessary supplies; cucumber sarnies, smoked salmon, caviar, Moët et Chandon etc.?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby kfjatek » 08 Apr 2015 23:12

Went through this conundrum last year. Landed on Speedfil (1.2l I think) + tool box on seat post. Worked a treat.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby SickBoy » 08 Apr 2015 23:20

For Sprint I went speedfill on aero bars, nothing on the frame, no toolkit or spares.

For OD I kept the speedfill and added a bottle to the frame with multi tool, CO2, spare tube etc. Gel taped to frame

For longer, previously I have chucked on a jersey for extras. It was fine. Interested in trying alternatives though

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 08 Apr 2015 23:21

Yes I know I didn't really read the question properly.

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby Bopomofo » 09 Apr 2015 00:24

OK, thanks for the suggestions, particularly Bender who has identified a couple of mutually exclusive solutions to either end of the problem. Tit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

More specifically: My TT bike has one bottle cage mount. I want do do a middle distance race and that means two bottles and a spares/tool kit.

Previously, I've done MD on a bike with two in-frame mounts and a tool bag behind the seat.

I have one in-frame bottle cage available and a twin behind-saddle bottle mount.

I really don't like putting extra clothing on. I get on the bike in my tri-suit and HTFU, so I don't want to have a support singlet that I put on.

Kfqwertek wins so far... I will investigate Speedfill.

For Sportives, Kevy has come up with some great ideas. I would go with a small flask in the food belt containing Kir Royal (a champagne flute fits in a gel band quite nicely) to get things started. Champagne in one large bottle on the frame to sustain you for when you get thirsty. Use the other small flask for Port to go with the bidon full of cheese and crackers for when a gentleman needs proper sustenance. The toolkit can follow shortly behind... personally, I'd have the butler drive the Bentley as the Rolls takes up too much space on any country road other than one's driveway, of course.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Next

Return to Technical FAQ