Best Goggles for OW swimming

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Best Goggles for OW swimming

Postby Seasider71 » 29 Jan 2015 16:28

So I would like to hear your views on what you think are the best goggles for OW swimming. I have generally used Blueseventy Hydra Vision, but it seems they have changed slightly and now manage to leak water in. I also tried Zoggs Predator flex but these have a real problem with fogging, even when sprayed with anti-fog, they start to mist up again after about 30 mins.

So I am now on the lookout for some new Goggles, looking at Huub / TYR as a first option.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Best Goggles for OW swimming

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Jan 2015 18:14

I think the consensus is the ones that fit.

Expense doesn't really come in to it.

The ones I have are aquasphere eagles. Comfy, and don't leak, even for the long time that I tend to spend in the water.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 29 Jan 2015 20:56

Jack Hughes wrote:I think the consensus is the ones that fit.

The most comfortable ones, it helps if they don't leak either. I use Speedo speed sockets and have done so for years now, before that it was a pair of maru race sockets that had an almost identical shape but seem to have been discontinued.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bopomofo » 29 Jan 2015 21:10

Jack Hughes wrote:I think the consensus is the ones that fit.

Expense doesn't really come in to it.

Agree... a bit like bikes, wetsuits etc etc. A cheap one that fits beats a 'better' more expensive one that doesn't.

But there are other things to think about: if you're in the pool you might want something simple; outdoors you might want a tinted or polarised lens; for racing you might want a wider lens so you can see that breast-stroker next to you who is about to spread your nose across your face; you might want a pair with a narrower frame or where the lens sticks out more to give you better forwards vision when sighting etc.

I'm sure we all have our favourites. I like Aquasphere Kayenne (and the Kaiman also fit me) since they have a wide lens that curves around the side a bit for good peripheral vision. I tend to buy in pairs: one clear for the pool or overcast days (if I happen to be swimming oop North), one tinted for sunny Riviera days. The black and red version also co-ordinates with my Huub Archimedes, daahling. One for CCS, there. :lol:

Towards the end of the summer I saw a few of the swimming gang with some rather nice Zoggs, a brand I've always avoided for no reason I can think of. I bought a pair of Zoggs Predator Polarised goggles especially for sea swimming. They fit perfectly and the tinted & polarised lens does a cracking job... so much so that I'm using them all the time, even in the pool, and the Kayennes are currently relegated to spares 1 and 2 in my swim bag. In fact, I'm so impressed with the Predators I am considering treating myself to a photochromic pair... sadly they are only available in bile green.

I once treated myself to an Aquasphere Seal XP thingy... goggles with a very wide mask-like seal around them which suck to your face so hard that no wind-miller or breast-stroker in the world is going to knock them off your face. But they didn't fit... water was pissing in unless I did the strap so tight I could hear my skull creaking. I gave them to a mate whom they fitted perfectly and he was chuffed to bits with them.

Choices, choices...
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SickBoy » 29 Jan 2015 23:17

I used Zoggs Predators for a long time because they were what was advertised in the tri mags. Got on with them OK. Recently had Tyr goggles since Zoggs weren't in the shop, they seem pretty good. Tried some Speedos recently but they haven't lasted well. Would like to try HUUB. I think as everyone else said, your mileage may vary. Personally never had polarised ones. Pool goggles seem to work just as well as OW specific but what Bopo said about peripheral vision is true.

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby kfjatek » 29 Jan 2015 23:49

Bopomofo wrote:I'm sure we all have our favourites. I like Aquasphere Kayenne (and the Kaiman also fit me) since they have a wide lens that curves around the side a bit for good peripheral vision. I tend to buy in pairs: one clear for the pool or overcast days (if I happen to be swimming oop North), one tinted for sunny Riviera days.

I pull off exactly the same routine with the Kaiman - clear for pool, tinted for OW. In that way it's one thing off my mind in a race; I know the goggles are going to feel exactly the same on my eyes as they do in training - while adding the benefit of tinted lenses.

But generally it's a very individual thing and fit is king I'd say - Kayennes don't fit my face, for instance.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Seasider71 » 30 Jan 2015 09:22

Agree with all of the above about fit v's expense, the most annoying thing I find is that you get a good fitting pair but they then suffer from fogging.

Its alright reading the reviews that state, a bit of fogging but this was soon cleared with a quick rinse - which is really something you don't want to be doing mid OW race surrounded by other flapping seals.

I generally also buy 2 pairs when I find that perfect pair, that was the Blueseventy Hydra Vision, but as usual they mess around with the manufacturing process and end up ruining them.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ris » 30 Jan 2015 10:59

i use tyr nests (polarised for ow, smoke or clear for pool). irritatingly the tyr spec ops range don't fit my face as well as they are easier to get hold of and the colour range is better!
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Jack Hughes » 30 Jan 2015 11:23

Seasider71 wrote:Agree with all of the above about fit v's expense, the most annoying thing I find is that you get a good fitting pair but they then suffer from fogging.

Its alright reading the reviews that state, a bit of fogging but this was soon cleared with a quick rinse - which is really something you don't want to be doing mid OW race surrounded by other flapping seals.

I generally also buy 2 pairs when I find that perfect pair, that was the Blueseventy Hydra Vision, but as usual they mess around with the manufacturing process and end up ruining them.

I had a fog problem the first go last year. Then I remembered my anti-fog solution. A couple of sprays the night before, then just before and it built up a great immunity to fogging up - never had the problem again. Well worth the money as if you hardly ever swim it lasts for ages :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 30 Jan 2015 14:07

I use the b70 hyrda vision's and they're great. I haven't noticed a change in them in the 3 or 4 years I've been using them? I bought a new pair in Sept/Oct and they were the same a the old ones they replaced/relegated to my spares at work. If they fit and still work then why not try them again? They also come in great colour combos and the yellow lenses are brilliant in all situations IMO
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to Technical FAQ