Poland conquered, now for the work of Vitruvius..

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Poland conquered, now for the work of Vitruvius..

Postby kfjatek » 14 Jul 2014 22:47

Right. So the more avid readers (all two of them, no doubt) may have noticed that I've kind of disappeared from this thread after Poland. Long story short, started with a longer-than-planned recovery, followed by a tough training week (3 tough fitness tests + 90 hilly kms in the beautiful Exmoor National Park + two days of surfing) that left my immune system knackered and led to two weeks of chesty cough and almost complete lack of training. Result: I went to France about 4kg heavier than I was in Poland and unfit like hell. And not necessarily keen on pushing myself back on track.

BUT - the week in Les Stables really turned things around. I think training with other people helped me massively - the mojo is back! I'm pretty sure part of it was down to what I would call machohism (damaging yourself to appear - to others - faster than you are in reality, despite the pain, which, as the classic would have us know, is only French bread), but a lot of it is down to encouragement & banter from the crew - so THANK YOU FOLKS!

Time to get myself organised again. Target - crack 5hrs at the Vit. Time: 7 weeks (incl. one week of taper, so realistically 6 weeks). Doable?

Work is busy these days too, so probably won't have time to keep a proper log of preparations as I did for PL, but hoping to find some time to share the progress every now and then. Wish me luck.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Jul 2014 08:10

Just assumed you had been on an imperial stout fueled bender.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby kfjatek » 15 Jul 2014 08:40

Jack Hughes wrote:Just assumed you had been on an imperial stout fueled bender.

That too. Left some for later as well. :-)

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby Tritans » 15 Jul 2014 09:31

Not unusual to have a dip in motivation after a big race. You will do very well to build to another peak for the Vit.

This isn't a criticism.

It is a very good race. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I know a little hostelry nearby if you want to trying mixing your pre race routine up a little.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby S11 » 21 Jul 2014 14:54

Ade is spot on - after the big race most folks suffer from the What Next Syndrome. There is usually a lull after a good race and it does take about a 4 weeks to get over it. Some are different and can just carry on - I know I can't..

You might see me at the Vit. If I can get permission to return to cycling this week then I'll be there is some form. I'm currntly trying to learn to swim again...got 4 weeks to find it somewhere...the bike will be fine. Circa 2hrs 10-15mins but the run....jeez...that run.....it never seems to end.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby kfjatek » 21 Jul 2014 16:44

LOL, I've always known there was going to be the Vit after, so no "What Next Syndrome" for me ;-) - but definitely a bit of a misplaced mojo in the first "back in training" weeks, exacerbated by the nasty cough that I couldn't shake off.

Last week's been pretty good for training, actually - especially yesterday felt nice and strong (http://www.strava.com/activities/168360839), legs seem to be coming back, slowly but surely.

S11 wrote:You might see me at the Vit. If I can get permission to return to cycling this week then I'll be there is some form. I'm currntly trying to learn to swim again...got 4 weeks to find it somewhere...the bike will be fine. Circa 2hrs 10-15mins but the run....jeez...that run.....it never seems to end.

That's great - looking forward to seeing you there; glad that tri is sneaking back into your life. I'll make sure I give you a pinch on the butt as I overtake you ;-)

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby S11 » 22 Jul 2014 12:23

You might not need to - I have to get out the swim first.....I haven't swum properly since August last year - and that is no joke. I've had three sessions back in the water in the past week and I'll need to spend a lot of time in the water to get ready. Then I have my knee to sort out - this is more of a jolly for me...a potential one last hurra to triathlon and to set me up for a tri season in NZ.

However...if I get onto the bike leg.....then we'll see!! ;)
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby kfjatek » 27 Jul 2014 18:51

Solid training this week, crowned with a course recce ride/brick.

Thoughts:

- bike course full of false flats (or maybe it just felt like that today)
- the Rutland Ripple IS a bitch (admittedly I wasn't pushing it on the way down each of the hills to get momentum and gain ground on the next incline, but it'll be hard work, especially on the second lap)
- road surface generally very good (as UK road surfaces go)
- quite strong head wind on the northern part of the course (exposed, wonder if that's just today or if it's a regular thing)
- lovely southern part of the course - that's where I'll make up time lost on the Ripple
- run course very flat and very exposed - wind + sun
- water in lake green & murky, lots of mossy things floating around
- rocky bottom of the lake - will need to be super careful not to cut one's foot. Unless they prepare the entry/exit really well, with a pontoon or sth

Didn't feel great today - legs very tired and didn't have enough sleep last night, really knackered now.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby kfjatek » 31 Jul 2014 22:07

Some silly thinking on my behalf lately.

70.3 Worlds are in Austria next year. As a result, most European 70.3 races have nearly double the qualifying spots up for grabs. Would need a sub-4:30 time to get there though.

Achievable?

Discuss.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby scibby » 31 Jul 2014 22:16

I'll be the first to say no, not yet... Maybe in a couple years...

Does it make you wanna prove me wrong?
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs