Chaos has a Greater Sense of Order

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Chaos has a Greater Sense of Order

Postby Lead Balloon » 14 Jan 2014 18:36

While I've got some wifi I thought I'd finally get my B-Admin in order and catch up a bit on the training log.

I managed one ride post Christmas just before flying out to work. The stats are up on Endo and Strava but the gist of it was the same sort of ride to the coffee stop and back as previously. It felt good to get one last ride in before confining myself to ship for the ret of the month. I'm definitely getting hooked on cycling now. I used to enjoy it before but the fact that it's helping me learn the area, see the sights and most importantly clear my head has certainly upgraded it from enjoyment towards passion.

I also managed to beat the NYR Brigade and get to a couple of spin and pilates classes before work. I let myself go a bit over the Christmas period and felt the recovery wasn't up to its norm during the spin classes.

The biggest letdown was the half marathon over Christmas. I set out with the full intention of smashing it but the lack of running made me pull up after about 8k with a twinge. Mainly because I went out too hard after no training but it pi$$ed me off no end. Things can only get better though.

My aim for this year is to rebuild my functional strength, namely to get my core bulletproof again. That's priority one as a strong core relates to a strong body and a weak core=susceptibility to injury. Getting my legs back to their yomping strength of old but without the issues that plagued me before is next on the list. Being able to smash pullups til the cows come home is great but I spend around all day on my feet and can't run on my hands. Injury proofing is the overarching emphasis for this year with achieving sub 10 (and hopefully top 50) at Wasdale the race aim.

1. Bulletproof core
2. Functional strength and fitness
3. Leg strength
4. Chip at least an hour off my Wasdale time

Sent using smoke signals from my floating island
Cuffing it, one Cluster at a time!
Haven't ridden my bike since June 2014, bugger
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 16 Jan 2014 08:52

Im sat off the coast of Saudi at the moment which has granted me the rare opportunity to get out on the upper deck and stretch my legs.

Tue 14 Jan
USMC AMRAP circuit
10 pressups
15 situps
20 squats
20 minute time limit, as many rounds as possible.

I've not attempted this cheeky little number in a while so I gave it a bash to test myself. It's very easy to loaf on this and not go all out but the numbers don't lie. They're cruel and uncompromising and let you know if you're coasting/conditioning is lacking.

19 rounds completed + 13 situps. I finished off round 20 for the sake of reps. In total,

200 pressups
300 situps
400 squats

Because we could get out on deck for once I went out running with the intention of hammering it. No warmup and 10mins later I feel my calf/soleus? go twang. Serves me right really, so after that I walked and jogged a few more laps of the ship for about 45mins.

Partly I think it's down to lack of running and also my body is still fully getting used to the change in trainers and running style. The inov8s are great, I'm the problem [FLUSHED FACE]

Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 12 Mar 2014 22:02

Not been up to much since I got back from the last rotation, I've been too busy doing courses to be able to do much in the way of phys.
I've had a taste of commuting this week with an auditing course near Hyde Park. I don't know the Southerners survive it!
Despite all that though I managed to drag the pooch out for a run when I got back tonight. First run since I got back and it felt good. No idea how fat I ran but it was mainly about stretching the legs as well as giving the pooch a run out.

Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 28 Apr 2014 11:03

Pathetic. We're practically in May and I've not done a meaningful ride all year. The opportunity isn't going to happen until June at this rate either. Wasdale is going to punish me in a big way!
Nothing but work at the moment so I've been doing the Military Athlete Bodyweight circuit plan in conjunction with a bit of Convict Conditioning. There's no equipment or space on most of the ships I'm on lately so it's been the only way to get any real consistency.
I'd recommend the Military Athlete sessions as they concentrate on the combat chassis and keeping it strong. I'll still suffer doing a tri off no training but I'd like to think that my legs and lungs would be able to cope with the effort. I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to test that theory next time I'm back

Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 17 May 2014 13:56

Got a couple of days to kill between transits in Sri Lanka at the moment so after the crazy idea of entering the RMRIDE350 I thought I should do something with my time

Today I yomped up Adam's Peak which sits at over 2200m and features a lot of steps. I may not have access to a bike until I get home but I can still smash my legs. I made it up in around 2hrs and had to sit shivering waiting for sunrise to get some photos. When it came to coming back down my legs had seized up making for an interesting descent. Worth it though and some beautiful sights to behold

Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 06 Jun 2014 20:12

First proper ride of the year done today. Got caught out by the weather and bonked badly towards the end of the ride. I had been contemplating smashing out a century ride but settled for 80ish miles in the end. I feel absolute knackered right now. No surprise there though, I shouldn't really expect to still have the kind of ride fitness I had in the buildup to Wasdale with no training under my belt. The ol' sit bones are a bit tender, testifying the poor excuse for road surfacing in Bedfordshire.

I can't wait to get my ride fitness back, I've seriously missed being able to do any rides this year. I'm glad the studying is done for a few months until I have to start again. It was emotional before the exam and I honestly felt like I'd been skull f*cked by maths equations by the time I walked out.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515022971
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 19 Jun 2014 12:21

Managing to chain together a handful of rides for once this week.
I did my first social ride as well on Monday night. I can't believe I waited this long to actually do it, really good fun and I never realised just how much benefit to decreased effort you got from it. I mean I did from a theoretical perspective but it's a whole other thing experiencing it firsthand.
On top of that I did a night ride Tues/Wed as I'll be riding through the night in August so I need sone experience doing it before the day of the race. Buildup for this ride is bringing about a few firsts.

Lead Balloon

Postby Jack Hughes » 19 Jun 2014 14:35

Have you been following the Race Across America (RAAM)?

Might be either inspiring or depressing.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Lead Balloon » 20 Jun 2014 15:34

Jack Hughes wrote:Have you been following the Race Across America (RAAM)?

Might be either inspiring or depressing.

I hadn't realised it was on but just watched the latest report on their website. That was a ridiculous time for Christophe Strasser! Makes me feel like mine's not even a challenge :shock:

Thanks for the heads up on it, I'll have to keep following it now :D
Lead Balloon

Postby IanM » 24 Jun 2014 17:38

A current crazy long distance thing (although, according to the story, not quite as mad as RAAM): http://road.cc/content/news/121794-rich ... day-record

Day 1: Just a mere 276miles... http://www.strava.com/athletes/389932
IanM

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs