FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Postby jonathon.e » 11 Nov 2012 21:13

Putting the Caught between thought and expression to bed now, it is still lurking for handy or useless tips if anybody wants to read it.

The new season starts now, I never really have a definitive season, it just blends, the Triathlon events have ceased but there are still events to be had, training continues, do what you feel you need to over the autumn/winter months. Some say it should be base training, with long slow runs and rides. OK, you may get the odd day when the sun comes out, the temperature approaches double figures, you have time off, your family say you can go out, the moon is blue and the planets have aligned, but what if that doesn't happen.

I advocate speed training for winter, and if the above happens go for it, but a LSD run/bike, getting cold, wet, miserable, and hacked off may not be the best. Speed, fast hard intervals, getting warm and staying warm, staying happy, the rain is lashing down, the wind howling and the pillars of heaven are shaking, but that quick hard session leaves a deep down warm feeling, you push it out, the steam rises from your body, you know in an hour you will be back home, a quality session in the bag, handling a bike at speed on a wet road, nervous at first, but a few shaky moments and your confidence improves 8-) .

So if the weather takes a turn for the worst, the turbo is calling from the garage, think twice before opting for the dry, train in it race in it.

So this week I have mainly been running, over (just ) 30 miles in a week, including the longest run in probably a year, a couple of rides out, two new KOMs, trying to keep my tally over ten ( even if no one else is playing :cry: ), and a couple of swim sessions totally about 9k.

Knees and calfs are a bit sore, but not as bad as I would have thought, during the longest run, every time any pain kicked in I would change the running technique until the pain went or minimalised, surprisingly enough by the end of the run I was running in my original form that of a heel striker, ok it may be against convention of fore/mid strike, barefoot technique, but if it keeps me running, relatively pain free. Then that's what it will be.

Will endevour to try another long run this week, opting for one longish run or ride a week, a short speed session again run and or bike and at least one swim, depending on the number of other swimmers using the postage stamp size pool, at least 2k each time.

I will try to post updates, but I hate being repetitive, :roll:
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Postby Jack Hughes » 11 Nov 2012 23:40

You know how to hurt me. Jon.e a go go!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Nov 2012 10:54

Jack Hughes wrote:You know how to hurt me. Jon.e a go go!

Was not quite sure if it would have been you, CCS or Kidstardust who got the referance first 8-)
jonathon.e

Postby CCS » 12 Nov 2012 11:50

jonathon.e wrote:

Was not quite sure if it would have been you, CCS or Kidstardust who got the referance first 8-)

Now, there was memory that I had totally supressed!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby KidStardust » 12 Nov 2012 14:13

bugger. only just spotted this thread. I loved that Landscape album. nice work Jon. i love being dragged enexpectedly back to the 80s.
KidStardust

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Nov 2012 14:52

Before you start reading this would you like to grab a cup of coffee and some cake, as it may be some what self indulgent this time. It may not be everyones cup of tea, pun intended, but you can stop at any time. Just wanted to do some thing different rather than the ran this, biked that etc, think different, do different, be different.

So this year are you going to try something new and risk failure or even success, or stick with the same old training routine, sometimes even just re-working an old theme shows it in a different light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJurIOYiaM

It may work, or there again it may not, training is unique to the individual. Occassionally you may want to utilise someone elses routine and perhaps modify it, even the addition of an element that you might not have thought would work, can be advantageous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU

So what You gonna do.

Back to what I have or haven't done.
Work has got in the way the past week, day shifts, are never condusive to a happy training plan, so it is up early to get anything done, needed to do a half marathon to keep up with AndyB challenge, so out on the road at 6.45 to cram it in before work, dark, wet and slippy roads. Living in the sticks means no street lights, or light pollution, and as I run through the cold air, across the top of the Wolds, I get to watch the sunrise, and feel the heat on my face ( well it was just above freezing ). Opted for two laps in case something broke and had to cut it short, time restricted due to work beckoning. It is good to work against constrainsts, do it or fail. Just past the eleven mile mark, calfs started to pull, so opted for a run and walk for the final bit, also served as a warm down. just under two hours so happy with that. The only decision was whether to run with my Mp3 or not, totally personal, everyone to their own. Sometimes I will, sometimes not, I will not be a slave to the rhythm , but occassionally it is good to start the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive, so I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkdF-2T99g

The next mornings were just spent swimming prior to work, a nice couple of sessions, about 4k each time, swimming distance isnt a problem, just speed, maybe winterswim will help, hopefully, my work colleagues seem befuddled when I mention the distances, but anything less than half a mile, seems worthless to me, guess I be one of the people that are hated because of it, water of a ducks back and all, most common remark is that I must be out of my brilliant mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JeEXP717T0

See what I did there.

Hopefully I will get my bike back from the LBS, and if these gale force winds let up, some or at least one decent ride in for the 100km challenge. Local LBS is great, decent rates, always a discount for being a longtime customer, the chap who runs it used to be a professional team mechanic for numerous teams, and worked on the Kellogs tour, all the youngsters are now googling the Kelogs Tour. He is very down to earth, and always willing to chat and give advice.

Drawing to a close now, hope you have enjoyed this little diversion, down memory lane, maybe I can work on something else for my next update, well it does cover a Big Area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4kPe1UOp0
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Nov 2012 15:16

Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Nov 2012 15:27

Jack Hughes wrote:You forgot this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSa5EvWqB7g

I was undecided about putting this in instead of your suggestion, but decided that less was more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpWo15Jc2JQ

toooooo many suggestions, for tooooooo few references unfortunately. :(
jonathon.e

Postby scibby » 20 Nov 2012 16:58

No you tube at work - am really intrigued!!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Nov 2012 17:08

Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Next

Return to Training Logs