Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Postby sonofsammo » 15 Sep 2012 10:33

Still torn - will be watching IMWales tomorrow with interest and will be very interested to see the feedback.
Weds - Run 3.71 miles in 42 mins - Achilles still hurting, so took it easy
Thurs - Running club - 5k in 35 mins - easy run again. Achilles still niggling
Fri - 90 min easy turbo to keep the legs ticking over
Feels good to be back doing stuff again..... Long may it continue.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby sonofsammo » 17 Sep 2012 08:18

Sat - off
Sun - 85 min turbo. Was going to be 2 hours, but right knee felt like it was going to explode, until I took all the load off - which meant there was no point in carrying on. Rather irritating.
No idea what this week may hold - Amy's supposed to be going away with her Mum and Beatrice today til Friday and I'm taking Henry over to them on Wednesday.
The prospect of a week in a caravan with the Mother in law was just too grim. So it'll be the boys at home for a while. Then I get Thurs Fri free.
Hopefully will be out in the peaks on Thursday. Go watch Dredd Thursday night.
Other than that, it's gonna be stuck to the turbo I think.
Would feel too guilty taking Pom out in the chariot before Beatrice has had a go, so will stick to walking I think.
Might head out to the dales with the kiddie rucksac.
Who knows?
That's if they go.........

After tracking Wales yesterday, I had butterflies in my tummy.

sonofsammo

Postby andyb99 » 17 Sep 2012 09:18

sonofsammo wrote:
After tracking Wales yesterday, I had butterflies in my tummy.

Me too!! awesome medal as well...(seen johns)
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby sonofsammo » 22 Sep 2012 08:46

Had Henry all week. No training. No sleep.
Love him to bits ;-)
Missed Beatrice something chronic.
Have spent the vast majority of the week thinking about next season. Or more to the point, waiting to admit to myself that which I already really knew - that my A race for next year has to be Iron Man Wales. If I were to do anything else, I'd just be kidding myself.
The question now is how to make the best use of the time available - train, promote gbm, fundraise, work (!), and fulfill family commitments - oh and make sure the lovely builders, whenever they arrive don't ruin our house and our lives.
2013 should certainly be an interesting year.
For the rest of this year, I'm going to train a bit and try and get some weight off again. Would settle for 20lbs.
Will also be seeking out hills.
And trying to get the achilles sorted.
And there's probably a whole host of stuff I could add to the list.

sonofsammo

Postby Jack Hughes » 22 Sep 2012 09:28

How does running a half marathon in a couple of weeks time "get the Achilles sorted"?

Just wondering.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Kevy427 » 22 Sep 2012 11:23

So next year your 'A' race will be IM Wales. A sensible and manageable training program will be required, something that fits your lifestyle and doesn't involve #panictraining. Rehabilitation for the Achilles first, get that sorted before even considering entering any races (maybe spend your race entry fee on a massage/physioterrorist/biomechanical analysis?). You need to be as strong as possible for IM and I would suggest start your training now as you don't have the luxury of training when you want - your training is dictated by behaviour of others
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby sonofsammo » 22 Sep 2012 15:00

Jack Hughes wrote:How does running a half marathon in a couple of weeks time "get the Achilles sorted"?

Just wondering.

Errrr - it doesn't really......
Good point, well made.

Have just been for a run. Easy run - just under 5k in 36 mins. Included a stop to help some lost people.
Achilles not too bad during and after.
Have set myself a short term goal of getting down to 205lbs by October 31st. This should be eminently doable and would put me back at my June weight.

Also planning a recce trip to Tenby in October. Bet it pisses down. :lol:

sonofsammo

Postby KidStardust » 24 Sep 2012 22:29

Kevy427 wrote:So next year your 'A' race will be IM Wales. A sensible and manageable training program will be required, something that fits your lifestyle and doesn't involve #panictraining. Rehabilitation for the Achilles first, get that sorted before even considering entering any races (maybe spend your race entry fee on a massage/physioterrorist/biomechanical analysis?). You need to be as strong as possible for IM and I would suggest start your training now as you don't have the luxury of training when you want - your training is dictated by behaviour of others

This is really good advice.
KidStardust

Postby sonofsammo » 25 Sep 2012 08:21

Think I may have to investigate the biomechanical whatsit.
And I've booked in for a massage.
Have realised that that's a big difference - I normally have a massage at least every fortnight and haven't had one for a month.
Went for a run last night with running club.
32m for 5K. In the gorgeous torential rain. Faster than I wanted, but had to keep up with people who knew where they were going so I didn't get lost.
Calves hurt like a bastard this morning, as do both achilles :-(

sonofsammo

Postby flavadave » 25 Sep 2012 08:52

sonofsammo wrote:Calves hurt like a bastard this morning, as do both achilles :-(

Mate... for all the great advice on here, it does seems like you're not listening to it. I don't want to give you a hard time, but I desperately want you to get that medal next year.

My tuppence worth... We all know that Ironman is about the bike, even more so at IM Wales. Might it not be a good idea to bin running for the time being? You've said yourself that you love the turbo (weirdo). Even if you did no running for the next 6mths and just focussed on getting Ironman bike fit, I'm sure you'd have the endurance to do the run. Plus your achillees might have actually had time to heal properly. Okay maybe not six months but you get my drift.

Like I said, I don't want to give you a hard time, so feel free to tell me to do one. I can take it :D
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs