Me

Someone done a good job? Deserving of a big hand on the BCTTT forum? Tell all here….

Me

Postby TRIumphant » 18 Sep 2012 10:01

Volunteered at IM Wales on the weekend. Filled out for the online form and asked for the swim. Emailed a few weeks ago saying I'm in for the swim, from 05:00 to 09:30, and the bike from 09:45 to 18:30. Luckily, my bike position was only a mile or so form the beach, so I confirmed I should be OK for both, but if they could find some cover for the latter part of the bike, it would be appreciated.

Rocked up Saturday afternoon, registered, got my free t-shirt and bag, and asked if I could make my way to the beach, and ended up doing the practice swim for two hours or so.

Got some last minute accommodation sorted with Mr MacNawty (cheers fella, and top performance).

Up early Sunday morning, and on the beach at 05:00. Started work straight away, laying out guard rails etc to set up the start line, then had to manage the start line, brief the athletes on the course, some had no real idea, manage the australian exit, then the final swim exit, before clearing the beach by 09:30.

Straight to my bike position, which was also to be a run feed station, bike were coming down the north bound carriageway, runners up and down the south bound.

Chair out, flask of coffee, and I was in situ to wait for the first bike.

15 minutes later a pile of teenagers turn up with a couple of teachers from a local school to set up the run feed station. I decide to stay out of the way.

Out of the secure store comes a pile of pepsi, bananas, gels, crackers, gatorade, cups, table etc, and they start to set up.

They obviously weren't concentrating too much at any brief they had, because what I heard began to scare me:
"Just hand out a banana to whoever wants one"
"Rip the tops of the gels"
"Pour them a cup of coke if they need one"
"Just give a can of Power Horse"
"Fill the cups up"

So I had to intervene. Ended setting up an up-and-down feed station, bananas cut in thirds, gels not opened, but sorted into standard and caffeinated, cups only half full, pepsi opened and flattened in advance, crackers out of boxes, and spread out, and each option repeated along the line.

Ended up running around like and idiot for seven hours keeping everything topped up, but did get some thanks from the teachers etc.

I'll be emailing the organisers today to highlight a few issues that could be improved for future events. Why are the only cups they can get got "Gatorade" written on them, would be some much easier if some had "Pepsi", and some were plain, or large signs above where differing drinks are, athletes would know in advance where to get everything form, rather than shouting and clashing with one another.

All in all, a tiring day, but a very rewarding and interesting day, I'll be back next year, but hopefully on the other side.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Me

Postby Bendy Ben » 18 Sep 2012 10:16

Well done mate

I've always said that events this big need the help from willing volunteers.
I can just imagine picking up opened gels, getting sticky goo everywere, then drinking fizzy coke.... That could ruin someones race!!

Sterling work. :D
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 18 Sep 2012 10:43

Great work Tri. That could've turned into a nightmare for the racers.

Definitely let the race organisers know your thoughts and good on your for volunteering. Without the volunteers events couldn't run. I'm not sure how many racers realise/appreciate this.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Seasider71 » 18 Sep 2012 11:38

I Concur, anyone that volunteers for an event needs a slap on the back, most do a sterling job and I always make a point of thanking as many as I can when I pass them.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby andyb99 » 18 Sep 2012 11:39

i reckon you saved a lot of peoples races that day fella.

top work
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Big_Show » 18 Sep 2012 12:17

andyb99 wrote:i reckon you saved a lot of peoples races that day fella.

top work

Damn straight. That could have been really messy for everyone if you hadn't happened to be there! You'd think they'd be given some more specific guidance ahead of the day.
Big_Show

Postby IronMorg » 18 Sep 2012 14:37

top work mate... probably explains why one or two of the feed stations on the run seemed to have pepsi that was borderline fizzy! but not going to complain as you all did such a superb job helping out and keeping us going. I must have walked right past you on the beach then :-)
2015 season
22nd March - Ashby20
26th April - The London Marathon
13th September - The Great North Run
4th October - Chester Marathon
IronMorg
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby Kevy427 » 18 Sep 2012 17:02

Good work TRIumphant! Certainly helps to have volunteers working who have experienced racing/participation in the event to understand what the competitors need. As AndyB has already alluded to, and indeed a certain Mr W.Churchill - "Never in the field of Ironman was so much owed by so many to so few"
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Moff » 18 Sep 2012 21:11

Kevy427 wrote:Lord W.Churchill - "Never in the field of Ironman was so much owed by so many to so few"

In stark contrast to what a friend of mine said after a night on the razz:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much drunk by so few in such a short space of time." In Berlin. Having spent most of the night toasting Harry Patch amongst others.
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Postby md6 » 19 Sep 2012 12:45

A definate slap on the back there. having experienced completely fizzy coke at an aid station in Zurich, and the results for an hour afterwards, you did save a lot of people a lot of gas, and worry (is it air or solid?) that day.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to Slap On The Back From The BCTTT