swimming not sinking

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

swimming not sinking

Postby didds » 01 Apr 2014 23:38

justy looking for any tips and tecbhnical drills to deal with somethig i am practsing hard at overcoming.

I've been working on my swim technaiue for a couple of montsh or so to try and improve it. i've had some successes already.

However the big issue i have at the moment is breathing to the left. I am using a lot of hip drive (my description) to aid the rotation as my right hand enters the water, but no matter what i do, even with a pull buoy to help keep my legs up/high I canl;t seem to roll such that the left goggle actually breaks the surface. As such if I left breath I basically end up lifting my head out of the water which of course just sinks the hips and the legs and then i am shiot!

I understand all about using the right arm as a place holder in the water, and about rortation... i just don;t seem to be able to promote the situation whereby the imaginery skewer through my head down though my body is actually spinning me to clear the water on the left. i'm not toally convionced i am managing it on the right properly but it feels a lot more like it!

any tips/tricks/whatever?

its too early to go back to the swimsmooth coach really as i only saw him 2 months ago and I can;t really warrant another £80 just yet! :-0

didds

PS yes I realise this sounds desperate and nobody can help me without watching me thrash about like a pregnant hippo ....
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: swimming not sinking

Postby TRIumphant » 02 Apr 2014 07:08

With fins, do some kick sessions swimming on your side, both left and right, this will get you comfortable in the fully rotated position, and the fins will keep you moving. Then progress to switching from one side to the other using a full rotation halfway down the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby kfjatek » 02 Apr 2014 07:21

^this (you can break it up by doing a single full stroke every 8 kicks or so to change sides, that helps with fluidity of rotation), plus potentially some swimming on side with a kickboard. Single handed, your whole arm rests on the board, your head rests on your shoulder.

Also, broken arrow drill could be good for this, as you need to spend a fair amount of time on your side there - makes you more comfortable with the rotated position.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 02 Apr 2014 08:03

^ +1
Broken arrow and 6 kick switch are great for rotation. Doing them with fins is great for keeping the correct position too.

Sent through the ether by the magic of physics using Tapatalk
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Technical FAQ