How long does a turbo last?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: How long does a turbo last?

Postby sonofsammo » 23 Mar 2014 16:19

Jack Hughes wrote:Drag?
Nope. Cycle shorts and a T-shirt normally....

sent from my brain
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

How long does a turbo last?

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Mar 2014 16:20

Not even a bit of make up? I have seen the video.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 23 Mar 2014 21:20

I'm struggling to see what was wrong with the old one... I've only ever had one turbo and it's been 100% fine for about 4 years or more.

A couple of weeks ago I used the bike on the turbo without cleaning the road grit off the rear tyre and now the roller has hundreds of little pits in it, presumably from some small embedded stone.

Still works fine.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 23 Mar 2014 21:32

Ewan wrote:I'm struggling to see what was wrong with the old one...

Big groove in the roller (which had been developing for some time - not too worried about that in itself) - and had suddenly started to eat tyres - so assume it had worn beyone a certain point.
New one feels very smooth and solid. Not 100% convinced about its alleged accuracy in conjunction with Trainer Road - as FTP from yesterday's test definitely seems OTT (but good for the ego)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Bopomofo » 23 Mar 2014 23:03

I have the same turbo arriving next week. Apparently they are VERY consistent from one to another and the Trainer Road virtual power readings are very close to a decent power meter if you set it up as advised on the Trainer Road website.

For this reason, I will NOT be publishing my 'new' FTP, as I STILL can't ride like a girl*.

I did also consider the 'Pro' flywheel you can bolt on, but it seems a lot (£70) for a metal plate - albeit a very well balanced one. Apparently the heavy flywheel is very accurate at representing real-world acceleration and coast down - one minute from 20mph or something.

Of course, for a true representation of ME accelerating on the road they'd need a much bigger flywheel. They apparently also considered a special-edition 'Tritanium' model but it simply wasn't commercially viable.

*Lady, woman, female, fellow cyclist, oh I forget...
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby kfjatek » 23 Mar 2014 23:10

Are you sure you can get yourself to 20mph without an engine-powered vehicle, Bopo? ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Bopomofo » 24 Mar 2014 00:10

kfjatek wrote:Are you sure you can get yourself to 20mph without an engine-powered vehicle, Bopo?

It's all a matter of degrees, Kfjkomedian.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby CCS » 24 Mar 2014 10:42

tesseract wrote:Too late now, but I had a problem with my Cycleops turbo, which I'd bought off eBay, but I emailed the British distributor and they offered to replace the unit (not the stand just the spinny turbo bit) well impressed with the service.

Good idea - contacted them, and they said it should be under warranty - but that I need to preferably go through my original dealer. Have contacted Wiggle, who the BAT bought the turbo from as my birthday present back in 2009 (!) - and hoping that it may get fixed so that I can eBay it off & offset the cash against my new one (which is really nice and much smoother...)
CCS

Postby CCS » 24 Mar 2014 10:44

Bopomofo wrote:I have the same turbo arriving next week.

Good choice - though waiting a whole week? Mine arrived almost instantaneously: ordered it; walked across town to collect car which was having a MOT; bought a pint of milk; got e-mail from Evans to say it was ready to collect; picked it up on my way home; and the whole thing was set up in the man shed less than 2 hours after ordering.
That's instant gratification for you!
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Mar 2014 11:06

Excellent.

One minor question. Who spends most time in the "man shed" now? And should it not be renamed?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

PreviousNext

Return to Technical FAQ