bike/wheelset

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

bike/wheelset

Postby S11 » 10 Mar 2014 22:19

similar to CCS I have the choice of riding the event on Sat on either the following

TT - with 66mm wheelset

or Kuota with 66mm wheelset or 66mm rear with alu front rim (mavic Kysrium Elite)

I will take the disc with me and see if anyone else has theirs. The event is hilly - of that I can assure you - there are climbs over 10-12% in this and it will be relentless. Now for me this is not about the result but getting used to the new TT position and the bike which I've ridden twice (in shocking conditions) so I'm kinda leaning towards the TT BUT I would like to be competitive as I can be as I cannot climb hills to save myself.

So I appeal to the masses...
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Re: bike/wheelset

Postby Bendy Ben » 10 Mar 2014 22:21

Kuota

Without question

What's weather doing ? 66 rear sounds good
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 10 Mar 2014 22:43

i'm guessing it's mostly weight and rolling resistance, so all other things being equal (tyres, hubs) then how much difference is there between the 60 front and the kysrium?
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Ewan » 11 Mar 2014 00:17

TT - no doubt. I can think of almost no circumstances in UK time trialling (excluding hill climbs) when a road bike will be faster than a TT bike. I'll be rocking the full aero rig (TT, disc, twat hat and probably skin suit) for both my races on the Brill Hilly (HCC244) and the Hanborough Hilly (HCC089A).
Ewan

Postby CCS » 11 Mar 2014 09:51

With 10-11% hills, I personally would probably go road bike (but that's just me) - though as you say, if it's about getting to know your TT better, then it might be a good outing. How do you feel about climbing with it so far?
What do you think the speed difference is between your bikes?
Interestingly, at my (not very) hilly TT at the weekend, I think I saw only one disc out of 40 something riders.
Gook luck!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Tritans » 11 Mar 2014 13:07

I'd go roadie no disc. But I hate / can't climb on my TT.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby IanM » 11 Mar 2014 13:35

TT bike, with PT wheel. You'll benefit more from race experience with your new position and power data in an early season TT than you would a bike you're not going to be using in your key races later in the season.

Which course is it?
IanM

Postby Ewan » 11 Mar 2014 13:48

Last time I did Brill Hilly I snapped a chain so I have to look back to 2011 for a decent point of reference. However, compare my results from my SB 10mile TT that year to my results at the Brill Hilly course where I came 5th. Look at the crop of similar riders who regularly beat me on the flat 10 but finished way back on the Hilly ride. The primary difference between those rides is that I was one of only 3 or 4 riders to race on a TT bike - everyone else swapped to their road bikes and went slower.

The hills on that ride aren't huge but there are at least a couple that get up to 10-15%: Image
Ewan

Postby Tritans » 11 Mar 2014 15:27

I trust that's cleared everything up for you Steve :-)

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby S11 » 11 Mar 2014 15:33

There is a huge part of me leaning towards the TT - I have not ridden it properly and if I'm honest I know I will not do well as I cannot climb so I think it would be more important to get power data over the cours and to see if there is much progression with the data.

I know that from getgo it goes straight into a really difficult climb but then becomes undulating which I can handle. After that its a serious of steep lumps that will have the legs buring but there are one or two good descents that I can pick up speed.

CCS - I am much faster on the TT but a mile. I ride the TT totally differently to the roadie
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Return to Technical FAQ