Headset Bearings

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Headset Bearings

Postby Moff » 09 Mar 2014 10:15

Mega daft question approaching...

My road bike has developed a touch of Steering Index Syndrome where the steering feels notchy when turning the bars from lock to lock rather than the smooth sweep it should be. Question is, what do I need to buy parts-wise to get this squared?
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Re: Headset Bearings

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 09 Mar 2014 10:44

Pretty easy to change. Did the ones on my Madone last September when they developed some play and indexing. Cane creek have a bearing finder you can use to find what you need:

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Should be a top and bottom race, and some seals. The kits will contain spacers etc.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Worrying Will » 09 Mar 2014 15:03

It's easy to do m off. If it does go wrong.bridge town will sort for a few quid.

written using my bestist willglish
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby S11 » 10 Mar 2014 22:15

try greasing them up first. rather direct replacement - if you have never greased up the bearing on the forkcrown then try that first before splashing out on new bearing first
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Return to Technical FAQ