Hilly TT wheel choice

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Hilly TT wheel choice

Postby CCS » 07 Mar 2014 21:32

So... what's best to go with for a hilly TT?
I am assuming that lighter is best, so I guess the Cosmic Carbones rather than the untried new (to me) disc that's been sitting patiently waiting for this season to kick off... after all, wouldn't want to look like a total arse plodding along slowly on all my fancy kit. Save that for the first open - or risk looking like an idiot (and hiding behind the visor of anonymity)?
... or stop overthinking and just get out and ride on whatever kit first comes to hand?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Hilly TT wheel choice

Postby IanM » 07 Mar 2014 22:01

Hah, nice purchase :)

How hilly is it? If rolling, go with the disc. If you'll need some extended out of the saddle time, then lighter wheelset is the best. The one Will and I did a couple of weeks ago is a sporting course (aka rolling, with 1 or 2 short sharp rises) - if I'd had a disc for that, I would have used it.
IanM

Postby tesseract » 07 Mar 2014 23:23

Round wheels are usually best...

....aero tops weight on everything but the hilliest courses.
tesseract

Postby Kevy427 » 07 Mar 2014 23:30

CCS, you should be ashamed of yourself for asking such a question. Surely you must know by now that you choose whichever piece of kit looks the best, not how it performs :roll:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Mar 2014 08:07

As above, rolling course then use the new product ( unless it is very windy ), the time lost with a disc is in the initial acceleration as some take longer to wind up due to their weight. Rotational mass playing a part.

The main factor is how confident you feel using it in anger, if you have doubt, then there is doubt, no matter what you choose you will always analyse the ' what if ' scenario .

The obvious answer would be to ride the course with one wheelset and then change over to see the difference, if you have time.

Given your current fitness level, I would say use the new product unless it is gusting over 25 mph.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Bendy Ben » 08 Mar 2014 08:25

More to the point - lets see a pic of the disc on the bike
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Mar 2014 08:46

Disc wheels are heavier. So are worse the steeper the gradient.

Wind is worse. Wind and speed. So going downhill fast with a strong side wind can be problematic.

I suspect it is more rolling than hilly.

A nice still day, the disc wheel.

Especially as the race is just an initial event - so a chance to try out equipment under race conditions.

However , you also have a new position. So you might want to try that with the same kit that you had last year to see if it has an effect.

Basically, take both rear wheels with you. See what others are doing. Good excuse to talk to people too!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 08 Mar 2014 09:17

Well, I looked at the photos of last year - can't see anyone else using a disc (in fact think there are only about 2 TT bikes, and very few pointy hats) so may go conservative (if nothing else so as not to stand out too much)... especially as the bike hasn't even tried the wheel on yet.

Jack Hughes wrote:Basically, take both rear wheels with you. See what others are doing. Good excuse to talk to people too!

That might be a bit tricky seeing as I am planning on riding there to warm up! Still a bit scared of talking to real cyclists - I usually hide in a corner behind my visor!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Mar 2014 09:25

CCS wrote: Still a bit scared of talking to real cyclists - I usually hide in a corner behind my visor!

I would class you as a 'real ' cyclist.

But at what point will you consider yourself to be a real cyclist. ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby kfjatek » 08 Mar 2014 09:54

I like to think when I jump on the bike I'm simply unreal.

Have you recce'd the course Clare? How much time do you think you'll spend off the aero bars? Could help determine if a disc is something you want.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Next

Return to Technical FAQ