Tyres to get

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Tyres to get

Postby Worrying Will » 26 Jan 2014 19:52

I have had a quick search but could find anything, i am looking at getting a set of new tyres of the race wheels, I currenly have
Schwalbe Lugano which are cheaper and chearfull but thinking of upgrading as i need new tyre, What i want is something with good puncturre protection and willl last.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Re: Tyres to get

Postby IanM » 26 Jan 2014 21:12

Race day tyres? Vittoria Open Corsa Eco CX. (CX not to be confused with Cyclocross). Pair them with some latex inner tubes, and they're about as good as you can get for clinchers. Super fast, very low rolling resistance, and the latex tubes help make them reliable (touch wood, I've never punctured in 4/5 seasons of using them, across two sets).

http://www.shinybikes.com/Vittoria-Open ... -Tyre.html

Not so great in the wet... Raced Belvoir OD in torrential rain on them whcih was extremely dicey. Great dry weather race day tires though.
IanM

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 26 Jan 2014 21:45

I'm running vredestein fortezza tricomps on my bikes at the moment as a fast training tyre. Impressed so far, and cheap as chips from pro bike kit

Sent through the ether by the magic of physics using Tapatalk
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 26 Jan 2014 22:14

Not cheap gp4000s for me. Not cheap but they (and the all year gp4 -seasons) are excellent wearing and roll well.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby tesseract » 26 Jan 2014 22:21

you'll probably get as many different suggestions as replies, everyone has their preferred tyre make / choice. I doubt many of us could tell the difference if we rode them blind*

I like Contis, and have an Attack on the front, as it's narrower, and gives a good profile for the HED3, with a GP4000S on the back which gives a perfect profile for the disc.

So my point is, now I finally get to it, if you have aero wheels, make sure the tyres add to the benefit, not take away from it.

Oh and +1 for latex tubes.

some reading for you....
http://www.t1tri.com/bike-faster-triathlon-tires/

* I'm not suggesting riding blind, as that would be quite a stupid thing to do**

** Unless you are blind of course, then you have no choice, but you should probably go for a tandem with a sighted partner***

*** Not an actual partner necessarily, although that would be a nice thing to do****

**** Of course your sighted partner probably couldn't tell the difference either!
tesseract

Postby jonathon.e » 26 Jan 2014 22:46

Whatever they said.

At the level of expertise that the AGer rides, the ride difference will be negligible, ok, if you are looking for marginal gains, but just buy ones that you can colour code with your bike, if the bike looks the business, then you are mentally better to ride it well.

Hence why I choose Michelin Prorace3 or 4, they just look good, isn't that what triathlon is all about, carbon, red, new, and having all the gear and no idea.

But the pro race are the ones I use whether training or racing ( caveat, I class riding a bike at a paid event as racing, speed is immaterial).
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 26 Jan 2014 22:57

Red ones
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Worrying Will » 26 Jan 2014 23:07

I have red at present

sent from the clan
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby kfjatek » 26 Jan 2014 23:25

ris wrote:Not cheap gp4000s for me. Not cheap but they (and the all year gp4 -seasons) are excellent wearing and roll well.

+1 on this. Contis gp4000s on race wheels, 4seasons on training wheels. One flat in two years (on the latter pair, which I should probably start thinking of replacing).

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby CCS » 27 Jan 2014 00:05

+1 for Michelin pro race 4. Pretty colours (red for road; pink for TT); easy to put on &off (unlike the contis) ... work well for me
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Next

Return to Technical FAQ