Garmin softstrap HRM - troubleshooting help

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Garmin softstrap HRM - troubleshooting help

Postby CCS » 06 Aug 2013 12:02

Actually, I am using one of the Polar straps ,but with the Garmin sensor clipped on.
Battery is newly replaced - but the monitor is really inconsistent. Some days it works fine; occasionally, it just doesn't pick up; quite often, it works fine for a bit of the run (today, it was OK for about 23 mins, then cut out, then was reading about 40bpm for the rest of the run.
Any suggestions where I start to troubleshoot?
Has anyone had similar issues?
What is most likely at fault - the strap or the sensor?
Should I just not bother with heart rate anyway - after all, I don't pay that much attention to it anyway?
Am I actually one of the undead?

Thanks!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Garmin softstrap HRM - troubleshooting help

Postby ris » 06 Aug 2013 12:09

my garmin softstrap misreports all the time, i often get big chunks at 40 beats or 170+ beats. i've pretty much given up on it being mega reliable and if it's not working i use a mixture of pace and breathing to keep me at 130-ish beats (sort of zone2ish thresholdish). any other workout i'm doing (intervals, tempo, reps etc) the hr isn't that relevant to me.

are you wetting the contacts before you wear it? some people swear by it.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby CCS » 06 Aug 2013 12:28

Yes - tried contacts both wet & dry - whether it decides to work or not seems pretty much random!
CCS

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 Aug 2013 12:52

I've had 2 do this. I think the waterproofing is a bit dodgy on the unit and sweat has got in. I've gone back to using the non premium strap as they are far more reliable.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 06 Aug 2013 13:01

One possibility is the running top causing disruption when it gets damp through perspiration or precipitation. Try a different top.

Give the sensors a clean as well to ensure the connection is good.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Kevy427 » 06 Aug 2013 13:07

Buy a 910XT with HR strap. Problem solved :D
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 06 Aug 2013 14:48

Thanks all!

Found some interesting stuff through the power of google:
- basically, the issue seems to be down to the fabric bit between the contacts getting saturated ( :oops: may have been glowing lightly in this warm weather) and eventually becoming conductive. Apparently, the solution is to cut through the strap in the fabric bit that sits behind the sensor so that the ends no longer meet, and sealing off the ends to stop them fraying. Worth a try, I guess, seeing as the actual strap bit is relatively cheap... either that, or just stop exerting myself until the weather gets cooler again...
CCS

Postby CCS » 07 Aug 2013 14:31

Well, that seems to have worked. Cut through the strap behind where the transmitter sits - currently ends are sealed off with a mix of superglue / insulating tape, which I suspect may chafe a bit... but in a 2 hour test ride, got realistic readings the whole way... so hopefully problem solved. I should be on Blue Peter or something!
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 07 Aug 2013 15:26

CCS wrote:Well, that seems to have worked. Cut through the strap behind where the transmitter sits - currently ends are sealed off with a mix of superglue / insulating tape, which I suspect may chafe a bit... but in a 2 hour test ride, got realistic readings the whole way... so hopefully problem solved. I should be on Blue Peter or something!

Excellent, although the auditions were two weeks ago for BP. :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Return to Technical FAQ