Upgrading Wheels

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Upgrading Wheels

Postby trudger » 05 Jan 2010 16:44

I'm currently looking at upgrading my wheels from the current heavy and crappy standard set that came with the bike, to a set of mavic askium's.
My current wheels run with shimano tiagra compact gearing.
Being a complete novice at wheel set-ups. Is it a simple job to swap my gears from one set of wheels to the other.
Will I need some specific tooling, or just a normal set of spanners. Is it going to take hours or minutes ?

Thanks
Protecting the world from the shame of coming last.
trudger
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Re: Upgrading Wheels

Postby Jellybaby » 05 Jan 2010 17:17

You need a gear-taking-off bit (not the techincal name) a chain whip and either a vice or a spanner. It's quite a quick and easy job with a vice - never done it with a spanner. If you're buying from your LBS then get them to do the swap for you. They may well do it for a couple of quid if you just take it in - if you're in London the london bicycle company shop on hatfields are really friendly and may well do it for nada. They taught me how to do it last time i was in there and let me practice for a bit.

Good choice on the askiums, I love mine. Also, don't forget to keep hold of the old wheels for the turbo or as spares in case you get hit by errant idiot drivers.
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby malteser » 05 Jan 2010 17:32

i'm going through the same thought process. currently have a turbo tyre fitted on my back wheel and soon off to btown (a long trek but it should be worth it) to get me a new set of wheels (and spend my lovely BCTTT awards prize) and stick some shiny new tyres on the wheels. Will get mike to stick on a rear hub as well so i can just change the whole wheel when moving from indoor to outdoor training ... it was a pain in the backside getting that turbo wheel on, don't fancy having to change the tyres every time i wanna use the turbo or vice versa.

Have a budget in mind and will leave it to the big man to sort me out the best set my budget can buy

of course, then there are tri-bars and maybe a new saddle ... the WAT's not going to like it
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Bendy Ben » 05 Jan 2010 20:20

Is it worth keeping those standard wheels on your bike ( training wheels) and invest in some race wheels, then come race day, not only will you feel bling you'll look bling and you will go faster.....especially if they are black carbon.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby hussler » 06 Jan 2010 08:37

Dead easy to swap cassette as Jelly says above.....Dont worry if you havent got a vice... I havent.... I just use a ratchet with the socket on for undoing the locking ring and a chain whip. Hold the wheel in your hands. 2 min job swapping a cassette:) Im always swapping cassettes around depending on what race im doing.
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 Jan 2010 11:57

Cool - I'll dave some cash then and not buy a new cassette yet. Wicked.

Nice avatar hussler :)
Bendy Ben

Postby flavadave » 06 Jan 2010 13:48

I've got some mavic's waiting for me at Bridgtown for the Rookie Maintenance day which Mike says I can fit myself!

You're booked on that right Ben? Maybe do the same... I can imagine them coming off my bike at high speed though, just hope Mike gives them a check over!
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 Jan 2010 19:53

Yep, I'm there too- 7th feb isn't it? I was gonna say I'm obviously driving from surrey so I'll be happy to pick you up Dave if you like? I'm gonna try and fit my tubs to my new wheels before I go, I have a feeling he will peal them off and have to re do them. Lol

Once I see how to change my cassette then I should be ok.... Just make sure u don't buy anything Dave, please!!
Bendy Ben

Postby flavadave » 07 Jan 2010 10:30

Cheers for the offer of a lift Ben, but I've got a bit of a mad weekend on... Driving up on saturday for a mates stag do in Manchester (dropping of Red Kev at Bridgtown on the way). Stag to is a 'Real Ale Rail Trail' from Manc to Huddersfield, train stops at towns with proper pubs. Stay the night in Hudd, then early train back to Manc, pick up my car and drive to B'town. God knows what state I'll be in...
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Bendy Ben » 07 Jan 2010 23:23

Ouch... black coffee for you then.
Bendy Ben

Return to Technical FAQ