For the Bike Gurus

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

For the Bike Gurus

Postby Lead Balloon » 05 Jun 2013 17:46

My BB started getting creaky a few weeks ago and started creaking constantly not longer after, even without putting any real power through the pedals. I took it to my lbs a couple of weeks back, just before Bedford MD to get some grease in it. Previously I've been happy with the service and ability of the mechanics in the shop but when I got it back on this occasion it still creaked the whole way round the bike leg.

Note: I had taken one of the crank arms off the night before and they originally thought that was the reason.

I took it back in today to get the creaking resolved and when I came back to pick it up they said that I'd had a tandem BB in my roadie instead of a regular one.

Points to note with this one:
Bridgtown built the Kuota from scratch
Why didnt the lbs notice it was a tandem BB last time I took it in?
Would having a tandem BB have caused issues before now?

I rang Bridgtown just before and I believe with the quality of the fit they definitely would have noticed if it had a tandem BB in it when they built it. Thoughts please?

LB
Cuffing it, one Cluster at a time!
Haven't ridden my bike since June 2014, bugger
Lead Balloon

Re: For the Bike Gurus

Postby chappers » 05 Jun 2013 21:27

I'm not a bike guru but something for you to check- the cranks on my kuota were creaking last yr and turned out to be the cranks needing tightening slightly
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby Lead Balloon » 05 Jun 2013 22:05

Yeah the cranks needing tightening was the first thought by the LBS. The whole thing with the the tandem BB had me wondering though. If the Kuota had had a tandem BB in from day one surely I would have serious issues with it from the off though? I've not touched the BB since it was built and I don't think that Bridgtown wouldn't have noticed something like that when they put it together. It's sounding to me like the LBS were taking me for a ride to be honest. Shame as they've been good up until now as well. Maybe I should move this to the Shit List :shock:
Lead Balloon

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 05 Jun 2013 22:20

Aren't tandem bottom brackets a different size/shape for an eccentric bottom bracket shell?
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jungle_re » 05 Jun 2013 22:35

sound silly but have you checked your stem bolts are torqued up?
26th May 2013 IM 70.3 Austria
Jungle_re
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Sqealy wheely » 05 Jun 2013 23:06

Work your way through the fixings, I had creaks which I thought related to the bottom bracket ended up removing the handle bars cleaning up the surfaces and refitting which resolved the issue.

Someone at the time suggested that it could have been coming from the bottle cages as the frame flexed :shock:

Worth spending some time checking the simple things first.
Sqealy wheely
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 Jun 2013 07:49

What did Bridgetown say ?

Mistakes do get made. Honest ones at that.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 06 Jun 2013 13:50

Creaks have a way of travelling down/up the tubes... so, yes, as has been said, check everything.

Could even be your saddle being lose.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Lead Balloon » 06 Jun 2013 16:31

Took it out for a spin just before and still creaking at first but it had stopped by the end of the ride. I think it may have something to do with the handlebars so I'll tighten them up and see how it goes after that.

Jibbs, yeah they are which is why I was wondering whether my lbs was pulling a bit of a fast one on me.

Ben, I phoned up Bridgtown when I got home. Didn't actually get eyes on the BB while I was in the shop. I rang up Bridgtown and they said that the only way it could have had a tandem BB in it would've been if it came to them like that and they would have noticed during the build process anyway. I may pop back into the shop and ask if they've still got hold of the old BB on the pretense of gaining knowledge of how to spot signs of wear etc in future.

If I don't get to the bottom of it I'll just have to assume it was an honest mistake somewhere along the line and keeps eyes open in future.

Cheers for the advice on hunting down the offending creak everyone :D
Lead Balloon

Postby Kevy427 » 06 Jun 2013 22:13

Lead Balloon wrote:Cheers for the advice on hunting down the offending creak everyone :D

Old age/glutes? ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Next

Return to Technical FAQ