Good bike oil/ cleaning type stuff

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Good bike oil/ cleaning type stuff

Postby tesseract » 07 May 2013 22:31

I've used GT85 on my bikes for years as a general cleaning/ lubricating thing, but I'm sure the bike fascists... erm cleaning police... erm those with too much time on their hands/ OCD...erm I mean those wonderful people who know about good bike maintenance can recommend something else for what I should be using to a) clean and b) lubricate my bikes.?
tesseract

Re: Good bike oil/ cleaning type stuff

Postby Bendy Ben » 08 May 2013 00:15

Muck off or Fenwicks to clean & Finish line lube ( get one of each - wet and dry)

Jobs a good en
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 08 May 2013 07:38

Quick spray with WD40, and a lube with 3in 1.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Kevy427 » 08 May 2013 07:48

Muc Off or Autoglym Car shampoo for the frame/wheels
For the chain I use Zebra Jism (stop sniggering at the back) to degrease, but also give it a blast with Novaclean (an aerosol degreaser and is surprising how much more shit this blasts from the chain)
I also use GT85 to lubricate moving parts but have been trying Teflube which is a dry lubricant with Teflon to reduce friction

CCS just prays for rain so she can leave the bike out in it for a quick rinse

- Kev you had a spelling mistake!
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 08 May 2013 08:20

Kevy427 wrote:CCS just prays for rain so she can leave the bike out in it for a quick rinse

And what's wrong with that? (... about to head out for 3 hrs of 'bike cleaning' in the Surrey hills).
Actually, I tend to use baby wipes to get the worst of the grime off (those things will clean anything... probably not very good on children...) and a bit if whatever oil is in my box of bike bits... though I tend to wear out chains through inappropriate gear selection before much maintenance is required.
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 08 May 2013 09:23

Joking aside,

Lubrication depends on the climatic conditions, for wet weather, plenty of lube sprayed liberally over moving parts ( excluding rider), but never over lube in dry conditions, the lube attracts dirt and grit, which adheres to the parts causing excessive wear.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby md6 » 08 May 2013 10:55

you mean you need to clean and oil things? :o

I used to use finish line citrus degreaser for the chain mech etc (also great for cleaning hands if you rinse quickly :lol: ) as it is an aerosol and blasts the stuff off as well as breaking down grease, then it needed to be regreased up use finish line teflon wet/dry depending on time of year - and wipe excess away with a bit of kitchen towel.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 08 May 2013 16:56

Cleaning

Frame - Muc off on a damp microfiber cloth if the frame is really dirty, if it is just to wipe off sweat/squashed bugs then normally a baby wipe. I like to polish the frame every few months after a good clean. Standard car polish for this.
Chain (after dry ride) - Just reoil, clean oil is in fact great at removing dirty oil!
Chain (after wet ride) - Ultrasonic bath of: neat Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 30 minutes, scrub links, fresh Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 5 minutes, water for 5 minutes, isopropanol for 5 minutes, clean isopropanol for 5 minutes.

Lubing

Shifters/Cable junctions/springs - Muc off 'Bike Spray'
Chain - White Lightning Epic Ride is my favourite for all conditions. Been trying Finish line ceramic lately, goes black pretty quickly and leaves an awful chainring tattoo. Not a fan of the finish line ptfe dry lube; takes a few applications and tend to look dirty quickly.
Jockey Wheels - Silicone 3-in-1
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby kfjatek » 08 May 2013 17:51

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:Chain (after wet ride) - Ultrasonic bath of: neat Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 30 minutes, scrub links, fresh Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 5 minutes, water for 5 minutes, isopropanol for 5 minutes, clean isopropanol for 5 minutes.

Blimey. Wish I had half of the time on my hands you have on yours buddy. :shock:

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby tesseract » 11 May 2013 08:53

kfjatek wrote:
Sir Jibbenstein wrote:Chain (after wet ride) - Ultrasonic bath of: neat Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 30 minutes, scrub links, fresh Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 5 minutes, water for 5 minutes, isopropanol for 5 minutes, clean isopropanol for 5 minutes.

Blimey. Wish I had half of the time on my hands you have on yours buddy. :shock:

:ugeek:
+1. :lol:

I should probably have added what works quickest and easiest...think I might try the CCS method :D given how crap my garage is (I get a little stream running through it when it rains) I'd probably be as well leaving my bikes outside anyway :(
tesseract

Next

Return to Technical FAQ