Tubs - A Guide for an idiot?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Tubs - A Guide for an idiot?

Postby jonathon.e » 06 May 2013 09:36

You could get someone else to carry the spares around for you!

In the kit reviews for the Louis Garneau Vorttice, as the thread got derailed slightly, I queried CCS's policy of why carry fluid for a ten mile TT. The answer was simply a dry mouth, which leads on to whether to race with discomfort for a short while or take a small hit for time by carrying something or putting on an article of clothing, but go quicker by being more comfortable. Another example is socks, risk blisters by not wearing and then go slower, or put them on add 30 secs but run quicker for longer, can you make up those 30 secs.??
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 May 2013 10:29

First of all Jibby the are a few questions that need answering ....

1) what wheels ?

2) what tubs are you looking at ?

3) I tried vittora Pitt stop once - might have been user error but it didn't work - over inflated the tub and when it set it bulged ! Not great

4) how have you decided to secure the tubs to your wheels ? Tub tape ? (jantex is by far the best btw) cement ? Glue ?
(If you are absolutely meticulous almost OCD ish ( which you probably are ) then glue might be ok for you but it's an absolute arse and is a real paints remove when you get it all over your wheels

5) when are you getting a TT bike man!!!!!

These are new and according to a friend who races, are incredible :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zipp-tangente-tubular-tyre/
Last edited by Bendy Ben on 06 May 2013 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 May 2013 11:01

Oh and some tubs only come in 22mm or 25mm sizes

If you want 19 or 20mm options then best shop around

Your wheels Alu or carbon braking surface ?
Bendy Ben

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 May 2013 12:55

1) what wheels ?
Strikingly similar to yours...

2) what tubs are you looking at ?
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubs, relatively well reviewed when compared to the competition. Usual mix of I flatted on the first ride, and I have done over 1000km with no flats.

3) I tried vittora Pitt stop once - might have been user error but it didn't work - over inflated the tub and when it set it bulged ! Not great
Kind of what I'd heard hence asking, anyone tried Caffe Latex?

4) how have you decided to secure the tubs to your wheels ?
Jantex was the plan

5) when are you getting a TT bike man!!!!!
When I win the lottery or find someone willing to give me one.

Your wheels Alu or carbon braking surface ?
Carbon. I don't plan on needing a braking surface though. I am going to keep pads separate. After a trip around Holland to get some carbon pads at the last minute after one guy melted his normal pads onto a rim one of the guys worked for a bike retailer and said 70% of returns are down to wrong pad damage (either alu shards shredding the rim, or wrong type of pad) and is the first thing they'll ask for warranty!
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby King Sad » 07 May 2013 21:14

I would have a look at Continental Competitions as well, I have them and very pleased, as recommended by Hussler.

This is what I do for a LD event

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6530&p=86079&hilit=aero#p86079

Depending on the distance as well as/instead of carrying a spare is to carry something like Pitstop, goggled this
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _2765.html
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby md6 » 08 May 2013 10:52

Depends on distance, for sprint i wouldn't bother, the time you will lose with a flat puts you out anyway. OD or above then i'd put in the bottle cage (in a cut down bottle or similar) I use either continental competition or sprint with gatorskins. Used for 1x IM, 1x 3/4 Iron, about 200 training miles, and a handful of Oly and never had a flat on them.

Re pre stretching, i tend to rotate them round the wheel. As i was practacing changing them i decided to take both off, clean the rims then put the tyre on (no tape etc) and inflate, leave half filled overnight and then remove and replace a few times. That way i knew it would go on reasonably well.

I have pitt stop but haven't ever used it as i've not needed to. I had some of that slime stuff in the tubes for my roadie but it didn't seem to work - maybe the hole was too big - hit a pothole at some serious speed.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby S11 » 24 May 2013 13:19

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:In a few weeks I hope to finally be racing on some 50mm carbon rims shod with tubulars :D

I get the whole fitting thing after a couple of lessons from MtB while I have been up a B'Town, but there are a few unanswered questions that I can't find a straight answer for on the interweb. So I'm turning to you lot for advice :shock:

Carrying a spare? What do people do in a race? Do you carry one? Where? If you strap it under the saddle what about tools? How big is it? I've read track tubulars (Tufo Elite) fold as small as an innertube and can be used to get you home, anyone do this? Can one be made to fit in a saddlebag? An old sock and toeclip strap look so tacky... Is there such a thing as a cheap tub that folds small?

Sealant What do people use as a preventative sealant? There seem to be so many brands on offer, each with their own formula. How long does it last? They are just going to be race wheels, I have no illusions about wanting to ride them day to day and trash them. Is it going to go hard in one spot? The tubs I've chosen have latex inners, any recommended sealant for this type, or one to avoid?

Emergency Sealant Seem to be a few options now, any better than Pit Stop? Anyone use it and it actually work?

Get an xlab or an Elite Skekane - both let you carry enough tools, bottles, CO2, tubs etc....they are very light and worth the extra weight. Xlab is over priced but the elite skekane can be bought for £26
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 24 Mar 2014 22:57

So a season on and a question for the tubular veterans.

I put preventative sealant in my tubs last year before I taped them on. I've heard it dries out, the bit of the valve I have to get to to put more in is hidden by the rim. Do I:
a) do nothing, pray to the gods of punctures and take a chance it hasn't dried out
b) remove the tubs, refill the sealant and stick back on
c) some other witchcraft I haven't thought of

???
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Mar 2014 23:14

BANB
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 25 Mar 2014 08:17

Jack Hughes wrote:BANB

Not an option. I think there is just over £15 in the TT fund at present. Anyway the wheels are virtually new; I've only done about 100 miles on them!

Sent through the ether by the magic of physics using Tapatalk
Sir Jibbenstein

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ