Tubs - A Guide for an idiot?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Tubs - A Guide for an idiot?

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 May 2013 07:18

In a few weeks I hope to finally be racing on some 50mm carbon rims shod with tubulars :D

I get the whole fitting thing after a couple of lessons from MtB while I have been up a B'Town, but there are a few unanswered questions that I can't find a straight answer for on the interweb. So I'm turning to you lot for advice :shock:

Carrying a spare? What do people do in a race? Do you carry one? Where? If you strap it under the saddle what about tools? How big is it? I've read track tubulars (Tufo Elite) fold as small as an innertube and can be used to get you home, anyone do this? Can one be made to fit in a saddlebag? An old sock and toeclip strap look so tacky... Is there such a thing as a cheap tub that folds small?

Sealant What do people use as a preventative sealant? There seem to be so many brands on offer, each with their own formula. How long does it last? They are just going to be race wheels, I have no illusions about wanting to ride them day to day and trash them. Is it going to go hard in one spot? The tubs I've chosen have latex inners, any recommended sealant for this type, or one to avoid?

Emergency Sealant Seem to be a few options now, any better than Pit Stop? Anyone use it and it actually work?
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Tubs - A Guide for an idiot?

Postby Jack Hughes » 06 May 2013 07:28

Depends what race.

10 mile TT. Don't bother. Sprint tri. Possibly not.

25 mile TT/tri upward roll under seat.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 06 May 2013 07:46

You are now racing at a level where carrying spares isn't worth it, saving weight to go quicker getting a couple of seconds advantage means you can qualify for greater things, rather than taking the kitchen sink with you.

You puncture, tubs can be ridden on slowly to get you home, or you wait for the 'sad wagon'.

Anything longer than standard distance then stick the spares in a bidon in a bottle cage, neat, tidy etc.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 May 2013 08:03

jonathon.e wrote:You are now racing at a level where carrying spares isn't worth it, saving weight to go quicker getting a couple of seconds advantage means you can qualify for greater things, rather than taking the kitchen sink with you.
:o

Guess it isn't in my nature to not be prepared. Going to have to get used to the idea of potentially DNF'ing then at sprint distance.

The bidon is a good idea. I'd forgotten about 'tool bottles'. Certainly a useful solution for longer races or when there isn't a broom wagon.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby jonathon.e » 06 May 2013 08:09

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:
jonathon.e wrote:You are now racing at a level where carrying spares isn't worth it, saving weight to go quicker getting a couple of seconds advantage means you can qualify for greater things, rather than taking the kitchen sink with you.
:o

Guess it isn't in my nature to not be prepared. Going to have to get used to the idea of potentially DNF'ing then at sprint distance.

The bidon is a good idea. I'd forgotten about 'tool bottles'. Certainly a useful solution for longer races or when there isn't a broom wagon.

Certainly gives you a new perspective to look at, do I or don't I, what if, being mentally prepared to accept a failure, but ask yourself, 'how often have you punctured in a race ?'.

How important is the race, what if all the others puncture and I am the only one with/without spares, have a plan, look at the variables, account for the options, reassess the game.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 06 May 2013 08:32

For reference, I didn't bother with any spares or kit (or water) in the last 25 TT i did.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 May 2013 08:40

jonathon.e wrote:Certainly gives you a new perspective to look at, do I or don't I, what if, being mentally prepared to accept a failure, but ask yourself, 'how often have you punctured in a race ?'.

How important is the race, what if all the others puncture and I am the only one with/without spares, have a plan, look at the variables, account for the options, reassess the game.

Sure does. Never punctured in a race, and only had 3 flats in >20,000km of training (one was a tube valve failing). Guess that shows one of the otherwise unacknowledged strengths of ensuring my bike is well maintained. Going to take some training miles to get confident in the tubs abilities to resist punctures I guess.

Jack Hughes wrote:For reference, I didn't bother with any spares or kit (or water) in the last 25 TT i did.

No water? I thought I'm being good with only one 500ml bottle and gage now for 20k
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 06 May 2013 08:53

My tub went pop yesterday

It does happen. Sealant is average at best

Carry a spare in the manner that has been suggested

Don't forget to pre stretch it
Bendy Ben

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 May 2013 09:00

Pre stretching, what is this all about? Is there a standard method. Jay/Mike showed unboxing one, standing on it and pulling it a bit repeating all around all around, is this what you do?
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Jimba » 06 May 2013 09:10

Not all tubs should be pre-stretched, depends on the brand.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Next

Return to Technical FAQ