Golden Rules of a TT bike

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Golden Rules of a TT bike

Postby Faith » 04 Apr 2013 15:02

Thanks again for these

Im turbo-ing tomorrow and taking her out on a pretty intense spin saturday so Ill let you know how it goes

Im up in the Chester area if anyone fancies offering a wheel for me to hug?
Faith
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby TRIumphant » 04 Apr 2013 15:36

My last three sessions on the TT bike have been averaging 92, 93 and 96, not too sure of that's of any use though
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jimba » 04 Apr 2013 16:15

What is the technique for approaching a big hill, eg Vit. Normally on my roadie If i am descending, or at speed anyway, and am approaching a steep hill that i know i will have to end up being in small chain ring and drop down most or all of the gears, i approach in the small chain ring to prevent having to swap rings halfway up, and then just drop down a gear as my cadence starts to slow. That way I don't lose a chain and I am able to keep the power on fairly continuously. The only problem with that technique is just prior to the hill when I can't get much power on as with being in the small chain ring the cadence is pretty high.

I am planning a visit to Mecca to get a TT bike soon, so curious as to how hills are handled on a TT.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby md6 » 04 Apr 2013 16:46

Jimba wrote:I am planning a visit to Mecca to get a TT bike soon, so curious as to how hills are handled on a TT.

You use a roadie! :lol:

um, pretty much the same as on a roadie change gears early and get the cadence up a little - i tend to change down off the big ring as i hit the bottom of the climb, and then get into gear asap. On a long drag that's fine, on steep or lumpy then its more difficult as changing gears means reaching for the tri bars. a bit of practice and its no propblem really.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Kevy427 » 04 Apr 2013 17:55

Someone with plenty of time on their hands wrote:What is the technique for approaching a big hill, eg Vit. Normally on my roadie If i am descending, or at speed anyway, and am approaching a steep hill that i know i will have to end up being in small chain ring and drop down most or all of the gears, i approach in the small chain ring to prevent having to swap rings halfway up, and then just drop down a gear as my cadence starts to slow. That way I don't lose a chain and I am able to keep the power on fairly continuously. The only problem with that technique is just prior to the hill when I can't get much power on as with being in the small chain ring the cadence is pretty high.

I am planning a visit to Mecca to get a TT bike soon, so curious as to how hills are handled on a TT.

As you've got all the time in the world now, it gives you an ideal project - back-to-back comparison of TT vs Road bike for hill climbing. Just think of all the different tests you could do with wheels, gearing, seated, standing, nutrition, weather, clothing...will keep you out of mischief for a few days :lol:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby ris » 04 Apr 2013 23:12

fwiw when i got my moda it was my first double chainset (previous bike was a compact) and it took me a little while to adjust. while there were only 3 extra teeth on the biggest chainring it seemed to deaden my legs a lot and i struggled to up the cadence (i'm usually 90-95ish on the flat). i don't recall when it sorted itself but it must have eventually - i do notice it a bit when i switch over for the first time in the spring (still waiting for that this year... boooo) but it doesn't last long.

not ridden a 'proper' tt bike, though, so can't offer any useful advice on those.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Britspin » 10 Apr 2013 21:50

Mine just scares me..
Britspin
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby combatdwarf » 13 Apr 2013 19:51

I find the switch over day from roadie to TT scary as you seem to lose a lot of the awareness you have on a roadie - certainly I can hear cars less...also the front wheel is just too damn near :shock:

But I love it - if I didn't have terminal manflu I would have been out on mine this weekend... :(
Husband • Father • Ironman • My triathlon journey from the rugby front row to age group ironman • http://iaindoestriathlon.blogspot.com/
Injured in 2014 so racing for FRANK water at the Bridge to Bridge • http://www.justgiving.com/iaindoesb2b
combatdwarf

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ