Flying with a bike - on the cheap

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Flying with a bike - on the cheap

Postby CCS » 12 Mar 2013 12:29

Ok, so I know there are a number of threads out there about bike boxes etc - but any top tips for travelling by air with a bike on the cheap (cheap padded bag?)
Just planning ahead for the summer, when my oldest road bike is planning on making the move to Portugal for its retirement years, and wanted suggestions to get it there. Given that the bike only cost £475 about 4 years ago, it is probably worth about 50p now, so don't want to spend a huge amount, but would like to get it there so it is still useable - and need to juggle the logistics of also transporting the rest of the family / stuff for a week's holiday etc. Can't entirely remember who we are flying with - probably BA or TAP.
Also, can't justify spending much, as it's unlikely I will ever get much opportunity for international travel with a bike...complex exit pass required for that sort of thing...
Any top tips?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Flying with a bike - on the cheap

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Mar 2013 12:41

Check the airlines baggage allowance, some have a straight bag weight, some will allow sports equipment to be carried free, just check whether the bike is classed as sports equipment, weighs less than a set of golf bats, but not counted as sports kit.
Some airlines charge a straight fee of say 50 euros for a bike, others by the kilo.

Ehow.com tells you how to pack a bike, as it is a one off trip for the bike, see if you LBS will give you one of their cardboard bike box's that their bikes arrive in, they would normally get destroyed anyway.

With a bit of manipulation you could get all the families luggage and the bike under your full allowance, it may be cheaper to put the kids in the hold baggage and have the bike on the seat next to you.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 12 Mar 2013 15:03

Thanks!
Looks like I need an recognised bike bag' - though seems that this can just be a heavy duty plastic type things.
Airline regulations made for interesting reading - apparently I can't take a pole value pole, and my knuckledusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails and nunchuks all need to go in hold baggage - though doesn't stipulate whether children can also go in hold baggage.
Obviously, travelling light will be the main challenge as always...
CCS

Postby kfjatek » 12 Mar 2013 15:51

Worth hiring a bike box, or borrowing one from someone not using it?

Would offer you mine but I don't have one! :-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby CCS » 12 Mar 2013 16:02

kfjatek wrote:Worth hiring a bike box, or borrowing one from someone not using it?

Would offer you mine but I don't have one! :-)

:ugeek:

Did think of that - hiring for a week probably equals the value of the bike though!
Probably could borrow one from a local friend who has just bought one - but then a bike box is a great big thing to bring back with me given that the bike is making a one way trip...
CCS

Postby Kevy427 » 12 Mar 2013 16:25

You could fill the bike box with local delicacies - fresh pastries, #mmmcake...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Mar 2013 16:36

You could look at using two flights, you go out on a slightly more expensive flight that has a better luggage allowance that will accommodate the bike but not your personal luggage, and the BAT with offspring go out on a cheaper flight with a rubbish or high excess baggage rate but take your luggage in their allocated allowance. But that might get complicated, but peace and quiet for you.

Are any of the local removal companies doing any runs to the continent, they will often take freight for a very modest sum, but that requires having a recipient on the arrival end, unless you are there.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Seasider71 » 12 Mar 2013 17:26

Break the bike down and post it via a parcel courier, delivered to your door then and no messing around at airports.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 12 Mar 2013 18:04

If flying BA it is just a bag, £30 extra each way for a bike box (or just share one bag). Surely they will take a carboard box?
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Kevy427 » 12 Mar 2013 18:32

Simply wheel it through Customs and onto the plane then pop it into one of the overhead lockers
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Next

Return to Technical FAQ