Swim snorkels

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Swim snorkels

Postby TRIumphant » 18 Feb 2013 11:32

Looking to try to improve my catch, and feedback seems to be that a swim snorkel takes breathing out of the equation, giving you time to focus on exactly what your doing under the water.

So does anyone use one, or have any feedback, positive or negative
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Swim snorkels

Postby CCS » 18 Feb 2013 11:49

Yes - I have one (Finis, I think). Mainly use it for kick drills so that I don't have to mess around with floats etc. Really like it - though you do have to be a bit careful when turning - have had a few bad experiences when pushing off where I have been rather further under the water than I thought, and breathed with the snorkel under water! :lol:
You do look like a bit of an arse using one though - but perhaps it does help to clear other people out of the lane!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby ris » 18 Feb 2013 15:42

i've got one (you just knew i would) - i use it pretty infrequently as my local pool told me i wasn't allowed (oddly, a slightly less local pool sadi it was fine, same operator, go figure), but my coach likes them and often sets 300-400 using snorkels, fins and paddles, concentrating on catch and body rotation while keeping your head still. i've never tried to tumble turn while wearing it, but in theory it is possible.

i don't mind using it, and once i've settled into a set with it on i can usually give a bit more attention to rotation and catch. i'll be honest, for catch i find single arm drills and pt paddles more useful, but as most swim kit is pretty cheap £25 on a snorkel is pretty good in the world of tri spend.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby TRIumphant » 18 Feb 2013 16:06

Think I'll give one a go. Just looking to get under the hour for the 3.8km swim this year, been close so far, but not quite close enough, so thought I'd try something different.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 18 Feb 2013 17:42

ris wrote:but as most swim kit is pretty cheap

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought this, until I looked at how much a pair of competition swim trunks would cost :o Nearly had a heart attack, if you thought trisuits were expensive just google "Speedo Competition Jammers" and see what a bargin they are...
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby flavadave » 18 Feb 2013 17:51

I've got one, not used it much due to the 'looking like an arse' factor mentioned above.

Wouldn't recommend backstroke with one either...
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby TRIumphant » 18 Feb 2013 17:54

flavadave wrote: 'looking like an arse' factor .

It's not something I normally consider, if I did, I probably wouldn't leave the house
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby Kevy427 » 18 Feb 2013 18:38

flavadave wrote:I've got one, not used it much due to the 'looking like an arse' factor mentioned above.

Wouldn't recommend backstroke with one either...

A periscope would be of more use to you ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Worrying Will » 18 Feb 2013 18:51

I havent used one but for me i have been using the pull bouy and woking on breating every 5-7 so i can watch what I am doing. i do stroke very ver slowly so it easy to see what I am doing.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Return to Technical FAQ