Gearing and higher cadences

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Gearing and higher cadences

Postby gingertri » 25 Feb 2013 22:33

shadowone1 wrote:Q-Rings...dam they are good...

I can't climb to save myself but I climb significantly better on the TT than I do on my roadie - even with the disc etc I still climb better but the roadie has standard chainset whereas the trek has the Q's

One thing I have done is to use the small chain ring much more efficiently. I've noticed that dropping to 39/17 and keeping the chain straight is much more effective than mashing a massive gear. I generally don't push massive gear and I'm quite happy spinning and only dropping to a big gear when its needed.

i feel quicker and more comfortable climbing on the Q-rings on the TT too. When i move back onto the road bike i'm quicker on the hills but feel like i struggle!
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby md6 » 28 Feb 2013 14:23

Just get on....turn the pedals until you are going 'fast'... that's it.
:lol:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby gingertri » 28 Feb 2013 22:57

md6 wrote:Just get on....turn the pedals until you are going 'fast'... that's it.
:lol:

or break trying?
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Kevy427 » 28 Feb 2013 23:14

md6 wrote:'fast'

What is this word you speak of?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby tesseract » 02 Mar 2013 22:54

Zacnici wrote:.......
Cycling at a low cadence imposes less cardio-vascular stress than at high cadence but the flip side is that high cadence imposes less muscular-skeletal stress - you pays your money and takes your choice.
This is exactly what I was after!

So in effect we should choose our gearing to optimise the balance between strength and cardio fitness (and of course based on the routes we're riding), and given I've got pretty strong legs the work I've been doing at higher cadences should help that balance. Plus a shift to more cardio stress should keep the legs a bit fresher than using the strength side...

On the gearing side, someone mathmatical/technical could build a new calculator to give a suggested optimum choice of gears based on power output, and balance of riding style as above?

On the Q-rings side, I've had an ongoing problem where the chain doesn't engage with the small chainring when downshifting and just sits sort of on top of it/ between the rings. I couldn't fix it despite tinkering with the front mech. I checked with Rotor who said it's because of my Shimano chain, something to do with the design...gives me an excuse to shop for a new chain. :lol:
tesseract

Postby S11 » 07 Mar 2013 13:59

tesseract wrote:On the Q-rings side, I've had an ongoing problem where the chain doesn't engage with the small chainring when downshifting and just sits sort of on top of it/ between the rings. I couldn't fix it despite tinkering with the front mech. I checked with Rotor who said it's because of my Shimano chain, something to do with the design...gives me an excuse to shop for a new chain. :lol:

thats utter shoite...I had a shitmano chain on the TT and Q's worked fine.

I'll also say that I was about to buy a SRAM Red front mech until Mike made an adjustment on the front mech/ height and yaw and it now changes sweeter than it ever has done.

Q's work perfectly - both changing and how they get rid of the dead spot
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ