Iron Distance Kit

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Iron Distance Kit

Postby fletch » 16 Jan 2013 18:47

Hello!

Thinking about getting some BCTTT kit for my Race in August. Thinking of going for a 2 piece tri-suit.

However I wanted to ask those that have ID experience. Is the club kit comfortable enough for riding 180km? Would people suggest getting a bib with better padding and changing from bib to tri-shorts for the run?

What are the nudity rules in IronMan... I know there are male and female changing tents?
fletch
Posts a bit, but not too much

Re: Iron Distance Kit

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 16 Jan 2013 18:59

I raced LD in the following

Swim:
Tri shorts
Tri top
Wetsuit

Bike:
Tri shorts (stayed on)
Bib cycling shorts
Club cycling jersey

Run:
Tri shorts (stayed on)
Club run singlet
Socks

First time around I had intended to change out of tri shorts for the run, but didn't feel right stripping off in unsegregated T2 (even though it was allowed, T1 was segregated) so carried on, had no problems so did the same last time around. 180k is a long way, 2 lots of padding helps, and as the bald man says, "comfort is king"
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby TRIumphant » 16 Jan 2013 19:20

As above, but short only in lieu of cycle shorts, easier and quicker access just in case
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Lead Balloon » 16 Jan 2013 20:26

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:I raced LD in the following

Swim:
Tri shorts
Tri top
Wetsuit

Bike:
Tri shorts (stayed on)
Bib cycling shorts
Club cycling jersey

Run:
Tri shorts (stayed on)
Club run singlet
Socks

First time around I had intended to change out of tri shorts for the run, but didn't feel right stripping off in unsegregated T2 (even though it was allowed, T1 was segregated) so carried on, had no problems so did the same last time around. 180k is a long way, 2 lots of padding helps, and as the bald man says, "comfort is king"

If the club tri top was a slightly better fit for me and had rear pockets then I'd be sticking with it the whole way. Apart from that that's the same setup I'm planning on running with. The only extra is safety stores in the form of a Camelbak etc for the trail run.
Cuffing it, one Cluster at a time!
Haven't ridden my bike since June 2014, bugger
Lead Balloon

Postby Big_Show » 16 Jan 2013 21:34

I went for the club LD trisuit and put a pair of bib shorts with a good pad over the top for the bike leg. Perfectly comfortable the whole way.
Big_Show

Postby flavadave » 17 Jan 2013 11:37

I went with tri shorts on for the swim. Bike shorts over the top for the bike and BCTTT cycling jersey. For the run I did a full change. Running shorts on and BCTTT running vest.Believe me, the comfort of putting on fresh comfortable clothes for the run was worth the entry fee alone.

It probably cost me 20mins extra in transitions all in and in hindsight, saving this could have gotten me under 14 hrs, but I'd do the same again, unless I was in the unlikely postion of a chance at a Kona slot!!! :lol:
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Seasider71 » 17 Jan 2013 13:19

I did it in the one piece LD Trisuit, just changed my socks between bike and run, was more than comfortable.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby S11 » 17 Jan 2013 23:14

As club kit co-ordinator I would suggest that the club two piece is a snug fit. You might find them weird as the tri top has the knack of riding upnyiur midrift.. to the point its more like a boob tube. I used a race belt to help keep it a sensible place.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby fletch » 18 Jan 2013 11:00

thanks for the replies... I never considered putting a bib over the tri shorts, great idea.

shadow, could you please pm me the magic kit spread sheet :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 Using ForumTouch for Android
fletch
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby Big_Show » 18 Jan 2013 11:42

fletch wrote:thanks for the replies... I never considered putting a bib over the tri shorts, great idea.

One word of warning - try and ensure your tri-suit/shorts and bib are the same length otherwise you end up with a wierd penumbra of tanlines... :(
Big_Show

Next

Return to Technical FAQ