Race Tyres & Cassette question

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Race Tyres & Cassette question

Postby Woody » 01 Nov 2012 17:23

I've just picked up my new wheels from Btown and now I have to decide what tyres to put on and what size cassette!

These will be my race wheels so I'll be needing a good low rolling resistance tyre...I know nothing about tyres! any advice?

I also need to get a cassette which has got me thinking. I'll need to get my head around gearing for Celtman (Haven't got the triple to fall back on!) If I'm changing my gearing is there anything I need to be aware of? i.e. can I just get a smaller cassette to give me easier pedalling or is it better to change the front gear ring? and do any of these changes mean chain length becomes an issue?? I also believe I need to get a cassette removal tool? expensive?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: Race Tyres & Cassette question

Postby ris » 01 Nov 2012 17:50

you will need a cassette removal tool (usually called a lock-ring tool) and a chain whip to get the cassette off. you only need the lock ring tool to put the cassette on.

i'll leave gearing choices, chains and short-cage/long-cage mechs to someone more grown up than me :lol:
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Woody » 01 Nov 2012 17:56

Cheers Ris! I'll await the grown ups to come and bamboozle me with talk of ratios and numbers.....
Woody

Postby TRIumphant » 01 Nov 2012 18:43

Have a look at the SRAM WiFli kit, really big gears for the cassette, do great to save the legs on hilly courses
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Worrying Will » 01 Nov 2012 20:01

Woody. If it helps chainging a cassette with the right tools is easy to do, I have done it and also taken the off to clean the cassette. Regards gearing I have no idea
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby tesseract » 01 Nov 2012 23:21

Cassette changing is easy, just make sure you use a good bit of force tightening it up, otherwise the cassette can bite into the freehub body.

The tools are cheap enough, although as with all tools it's worth getting good ones, especially if you plan on changing your cassettes a lot. I went through a couple of cheap ones before getting a Shimano Pro set, so much easier to use and lasting well.

For tyres you didn't say if they're clichers or tubs?
tesseract

Postby Woody » 02 Nov 2012 00:50

Thanks folks. Tyres are clinchers!
Woody

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 02 Nov 2012 07:36

I've been running Michelin Pro 4 Service Course this summer as my training/race tyres. They are nice, like them better than the GP4000s I had last year. Good Ironman length race tyres.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Woody » 02 Nov 2012 09:54

Cool, and they're on sale with Wiggle - SOLD! ;)

shit....how do I know what size tyres I need!? 700 obviously x 20? 23? 25? :shock:
Woody

Postby chappers » 02 Nov 2012 10:36

Take a look at schwalbe ultremo dd (i think theyve been called durano s and other things along the way). Ive been running them on my training wheels for over two years including turbo time. Lots of milage!. Prob due a replacement now but only punctured once or twice on very flinty roads.
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Next

Return to Technical FAQ