Converting a hybrid to a single gear bike

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Converting a hybrid to a single gear bike

Postby flavadave » 19 Jan 2010 16:29

I have a hybrid for commuting and was told when I last had it serviced that the rear hub was dying (about 5 months ago). Reccently I've noticed a slight wobble in the back wheel, and the gears keep slipping which I guess is a symptom of the dodgy hub.

Anyway, I'm thinking of converting it to a single gear as its a flat, city commute and I only never use more than two gears. My bike knowledge is crap though and my tools are limited, but what would I need to do this sort of job? New wheel? New hub? And presumably I need to change the front rings for a single?

Anyone ever done this sort of thing? Any advice greatfully received.

Thanking you kindly.
Dave
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Converting a hybrid to a single gear bike

Postby TRIumphant » 19 Jan 2010 16:41

June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Ewan » 20 Jan 2010 15:45

Yes, I have built one fixed gear and am building up a lo-pro time trial frame as a fixed gear at the moment. So I have some limited experience and happy to help if I can.

Firstly everything I learned I got from Sheldon Brown ^^ and from London FGSS forum (LFGSS.com). There is a massive amount of knowledge on that forum but its not the friendliest place so you definitely need thick skin if you are going to post on there, especially if you haven't searched thoroughly first - That said there is such a lot of information on there that using the search button meant I didn't need to actually post for about 9 months!

The most important thing is to check what dropouts you have? Check sheldon's glossary (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_dr-z.html#dropout) for the different types. Ideally you want horizontal dropouts (either forward or rear facing) so that you can adjust chain tension without a rear derailiur. There are ways around this if you have vertical dropouts but horizontal is easier!

You almost certainly need a new wheel, you could try and get a wheel built using your existing rim on a new hub but it probably wouldn't work out any cheaper than getting a new wheel built. Another option would be to scout ebay and LFGSS for a cheap second hand wheel? What you want is one with a "Fixed/Free Flip-flop hub" and you need to measure the spacing of your rear dropouts to make sure you get the right size (most track hubs are 120mm but your hybrid may be wider).

Building a Fixed/Single speed is a great way to learn about bike maintenance and I can't recommend it enough!

Let us know if you have any questions!

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby simondo3333 » 20 Jan 2010 16:13

What rear hub are you running at the moment Flavadave? Is your hybrid running MTB or road wheelset?

I was under the impression that most hub bearings these days were replaceable so even though the wheel might feel knackerred it should only cost a few quid to sort out!! Riding it with knackerred bearings will wear your drivetrain much much quicker and you could be looking at a new cassette and chain too before long if still in use.

Converting to single speed doesn't sound cost effective in comparison but whatever floats your boat and all that.

*Edit - you'll need a new hub if the bearing cones (which the bearings are seated onto) are shot as well*
simondo3333
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Postby flavadave » 20 Jan 2010 16:53

Thanks for the replies peeps.

Ideally I'd love to start from scratch a buy an old road frame with horizontal drop outs but not sure how kindly the misses would take to another bike.

Maybe I should go down that route... Hmmm...
flavadave

Postby Ewan » 20 Jan 2010 17:12

Ideally I'd love to start from scratch a buy an old road frame with horizontal drop outs but not sure how kindly the misses would take to another bike.

Do it... if you are like me and enjoy taking things apart and putting them together again then you won't regret it! My steel road frame is one of my favourites an I can't wait to get my lopro on the road! Admittedly it isn't going to be the most economical of options when compared with replacing a few bearings but for all it will teach you about bike mechanics, and the sheer pleasure of riding a machine you built its got to be worth it!

Check out Hillary Stone's listings in classifieds on LFGSS, often some bargains in there for some nice old frames, although if you shop around and visit the local tip you'll be able to pick something up for very cheap indeed.

If the WAT has a problem with too many bikes tell her you'll sell the hybrid... once you build the road frame up you won't want it anymore :)
Ewan

Postby Ewan » 20 Jan 2010 17:30

http://www.lfgss.com/thread36162.html#post1157684
http://www.lfgss.com/thread35761.html#post1153181

Most of the cheaper frames on these two lists have now gone but it gives you an idea...

this is a list of all hilary's other sales:
http://www.lfgss.com/search.php?searchid=777072

If nothing else check out the BEAUTFUL OLMO Lopro at the top of the 2nd link!
Ewan

Postby Jellybaby » 21 Jan 2010 11:33

Oooh, I'm tempted to give this a go now :D
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby flavadave » 21 Jan 2010 12:19

Thanks ewan, much appreciated. Some lovely looking frames there. I'm seriously looking into this now and yes you're right I can sell the hybrid and keep the misses sweet!
flavadave

Postby Ewan » 21 Jan 2010 13:27

Good choice both,

On the one hand I really enjoy the tinkering with the bikes. The first frame I did was an 80's road frame off the scrapheap behind the office. I scrubbed it up and reused as many of the components as possible (Headset, Stem, Bars, BB, Cranks, Chainring, brakes) so it didn't end up being that expensive.

On the other hand I really enjoy riding fixed gear. It takes a little getting used to, but I love the feeling of connection you have with the bike and have found that it has helped my pedalling technique lots. It has completely brightened up my commute, still after a year I actively enjoy getting on the bike to ride to work!
Ewan

Return to Technical FAQ