indexing again

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

indexing again

Postby KidStardust » 18 Jan 2010 19:17

why would shifting between the big and small ring work perfectly when the bike is on a workstand, but then not work when i'm riding. weight? but then what's the point of the workstand? my front derailleur is now all over the place. shifting but i have chain rub that i never had before. going on the bike maintenance day but don't think i can wait that long. help.
KidStardust

Re: indexing again

Postby didds » 18 Jan 2010 20:27

this won;t help Kid but I suspect you've got it right... weight. Well, not "weight" per se, but "resistance".

Good luck.

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KidStardust » 18 Jan 2010 23:22

that does make sense, but then how are you ever supposed to set them properly? cheers didds.
KidStardust

Postby Sir Conehead » 19 Jan 2010 08:42

All will be revealed on 7th Feb - as I have no clue.
Sir Conehead

Postby simondo3333 » 19 Jan 2010 10:08

Difficult to determine without seeing it.

I've never used a workstand but I AlWAYS do a lap of our village and take a multitool with me so I can tweak on the go following any cable or drivetrain part replacements. It has to be set up for being ridden. Being turned by hand just isn't the same.

Firstly, it sounds like the lower limiter screw needs checking. The cage might be travelling too far and causing chain rub.
The cage should sit just off the inner side of the chain without any rub or interference.

Look up any of the "how to's" on the web. It should be a 2 minute job.

Failing that - worn drivetrain parts or a trashed bottom bracket will cause shifting problems upfront and only whilst riding with weight on the cranks being the main factor.

A longshot, but could you have knocked the derailleur alignment out since it was on the stand? Check the derailleur bracket/band bolt to make sure its tight as the cable tension when shifting will twist it causing poor shifting.
simondo3333
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Postby KidStardust » 19 Jan 2010 22:06

simondo, cheers. it was a 2 minute job and was successfully carried out by someone who knows a bit. you were right; the lower limiter needed a tweak, as did cable tension. roll on the 7th feb. i need the confidence to have a go at things without the fear of f*cking it up royally.
KidStardust

Return to Technical FAQ