Aerojackets

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Aerojackets

Postby tesseract » 22 May 2014 22:18

I had aerojackets before I got a disc. I think they give about 90%+ of the benefits of a disc, depending what sort of disc it is. They're better than some of the older discs, and not as good as the newer ones that are all aerodynamically shaped.

You can't keep them on your wheel all the time, ie for training, as the fasteners will loosen or something. And if you have deep rims already then the jacket will mark them due to the rubbing where they meet.
tesseract

Postby Bopomofo » 22 May 2014 22:34

Might have missed it in this thread IanM, but what wheel do you have that cover on? Is it a deep rim and if so is it getting worn like Tesseract says.

This pic shows the same wheels as mine with an RT cover on... looks like it has been specced to almost fit and then the gap has been filled with black tape, which seems sensible to me.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 23 May 2014 06:47

I did toy with the idea because of that very picture (which is after all my bike wearing my wheels) but went with a second hand disc in the end to avoid the faff of constantly taking covers on & off.

Sent using some sort of new fangled technology
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby IanM » 23 May 2014 07:13

Bopomofo wrote:Might have missed it in this thread IanM, but what wheel do you have that cover on? Is it a deep rim and if so is it getting worn like Tesseract says.

My wheel's got these rims - http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/ambrosio-excellight/ - they're heavyweight training rims rather than deep sections.

I haven't yet taken the covers off, mainly because they were quite difficult to get on (until I finally got the knack for working the fasteners). I hadn't planned to take them off to be honest, but hadn't other than idly considered they might be damaging the rim or the fasteners might be weakening. I'll have a look over the weekend, and also ask on TTF if people leave them on or take them off between races.
IanM

Postby IanM » 23 May 2014 07:15

Although they do make some noise (albeit not the full on disc whoop whoop), and it's quite good hearing it whilst training ;)
IanM

Postby CCS » 23 May 2014 08:46

P.S. Am I the only person who never notices a disc wheel noise (in fact, only notice a noise from the cosmic carbones on one narrow stretch of road which has tall walls on either side).
Obviously getting old and deaf... or can't hear for the sound of the wind rushing past my ears?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby tesseract » 23 May 2014 09:16

IanM wrote:
Bopomofo wrote:Might have missed it in this thread IanM, but what wheel do you have that cover on? Is it a deep rim and if so is it getting worn like Tesseract says.

My wheel's got these rims - http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/ambrosio-excellight/ - they're heavyweight training rims rather than deep sections.

I haven't yet taken the covers off, mainly because they were quite difficult to get on (until I finally got the knack for working the fasteners). I hadn't planned to take them off to be honest, but hadn't other than idly considered they might be damaging the rim or the fasteners might be weakening. I'll have a look over the weekend, and also ask on TTF if people leave them on or take them off between races.

I think you'll be OK on training wheels, esp if they're alloy. I had a HED Jet9 if I remember, and there was a definite mark on the carbon fairing bit. Nothing serious BTW, just the shine was worn off.

The advice not to leave on the wheels was in the Aerojacket instructions, I emailed Wheelbuilder and they said:
The recommended use for our disc covers is for races only. Of course, some pre-race training rides will be fine.
There will be no damage to the wheel to keep the covers on. If you have a race specific wheel, it is okay to keep the covers on so long as it is stored indoors to avoid extreme temperature exposure.
Riding with covers for your daily use will drastically shorten the life of the covers.
That was 3 years ago (yes I keep everything :oops: ) so they might have improved the design?
tesseract

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 May 2014 10:33

CCS wrote:P.S. Am I the only person who never notices a disc wheel noise (in fact, only notice a noise from the cosmic carbones on one narrow stretch of road which has tall walls on either side).
Obviously getting old and deaf... or can't hear for the sound of the wind rushing past my ears?

Probably because you are pedaling effectively.

They should make a constant whoosh; whoop whoop means that you are not apply power in a steady way.

Really, you should only notice as they go past. You are leaving the sound of you own wheel well behind :)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 23 May 2014 10:50

Had a look on the RalTech site and at the instructions that came with it - no mention of removing it when not racing. One response on TTF saying they've left theirs on for 2 years, and still looks as good as new. I'll keep an eye on mine but will be leaving it on for now, although will take them off in September once the TT season is over. Although I'd be more inclined to take them off if they were expensive rims, rather than the ones I've got.
IanM

Postby gingertri » 20 Jun 2014 22:07

Ive just ordered a pair after my 10 mile TT pb! Got the £160 lightweight ones (only a tenner difference). Lets see how they fair with a not so fast person!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ