Who has done a TT?

Who has done a TT?

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Apr 2011 23:18

We are probably all drivers. Aren't you just a little bit frustrated by ever increasing 30mph or 40mph restrictions, speed cameras, points on licenses and having to drive ever so slowly and carefully...

... Don't you just wish you could have the chance to go flat out ... As fast as you can?

Well, this is the thrill that TTs are all about. We have all have nice machines - or, at least, aspire to owning them. And the sheer buzz of just racing them as fast as you can - just to see how fast you can go, is great. A real buzz.

Part of your membership fees go to paying for the facility for you to be able to do these. Sure, there are turn up and ride events, but these are hardly ever further than 10 miles. And the real test is seeing how far you can get in a hour. Just you and the machine.

It's a facility that, as far as I know, only three of us - myself, Jonathon.e and Sir Conehead have used. As such, it seems a bit of an indulgence.

But look at the fun we have. It's all Sir CH actually wants to do. It's more fun than a running race and a swIm. And, possibly, more stimulating than a Tri.

So: who wants to join in the fun?

If you do, then what are the barriers?

Let me know, and I will see if I can help :)

If you don't want a go, but have dropped 2k on a TT bike then.. Well..
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: Who has done a TT?

Postby Sir Conehead » 05 Apr 2011 23:22

TTs, like triathlons but with the crap bits removed (swim, transitions and run).
Sir Conehead

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Apr 2011 23:24

Sir Conehead wrote:TTs, like triathlons but with the crap bits removed (swim, transitions and run).

And cake!!!!
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby scibby » 05 Apr 2011 23:25

Silly question: do you have to be on a TT bike?
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Apr 2011 23:41

No. You can use a road bike. I do :).

No hybrid or MTB or anything else though, as they have to conform to regulations.

It is true that TT bike have an advantage.

There is also a discipline called "old school" where you have to ride using a machine manufactured before 1985. Ie no TT and no carbon. No aero helmets or Lycra.

There are also fixed gear or restricted gear events - where you have to pedal as fast as possible!

But the bike you use for tris will be fine. You can't wear a tri suit as you have to have your shoulders covered. You can wear a compression top underneath for example. You are safest wearing the club kit too. You can wear non club kit - but it should really be plain with no advertising on :).

So, your ordinary bike, cycling shorts, and a club jersey is the simplest thing.

You do not have to wear a helmet (this is actually frowned on in old school)
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Apr 2011 23:49

Hmm my answers are likely to be so long and rambling I will put people off

My kit:

Road bike (cheap £600, nothing special steel and clinchers)
Club jersey
Shorts
Helmet (simple road model)
Rear light
Touring shoes (as only ones I have)
Gloves.

No one laughs. People are just pleased I am having a go (and relieved that they will have someone to beat)
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby scibby » 05 Apr 2011 23:56

Cool thanks. Defo one for next year. Might see if I can squeeze any in this summer... Can't think of anything that's stopping me, but previously never felt the need to do them. (In terms of benchmarking performance, I previously did all-out laps of Richie Park to monitor progress...)
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Jonhinio » 05 Apr 2011 23:57

I'm going to be dipping my toes into this murky world in the next month or so. Maidenhead CC run TT's around the Widsor bike route area which conveniently is between my work and home.
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Bopomofo » 06 Apr 2011 00:22

Jack Hughes wrote:
Sir Conehead wrote:TTs, like triathlons but with the crap bits removed (swim, transitions and run).

And cake!!!!

And Conehead.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 06 Apr 2011 06:29

There's a 10m open one near me run by Hinckley CRC every Tuesday night. For months my intention has been to go down and watch the first one of the year, then do it every week after that. First one was last night but I was working late :( Will endeavour to go and watch next week. Also want to do a few 25m ones too.
IanM

Next

Return to Cycling Time Trials