Cracking. 1;37 must be over 30mph.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Re: First 50TT

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Sep 2014 19:52

GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!

Fantastic first go!

Anything over 25mph is outstanding.

I'm thinking back to some conversations we had at the beginning of the year :)

Exceeded your expectations by about 6mph :)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 27 Sep 2014 19:59

Despite being slower than my prediction, that's a mad effort.

My prediction was the classic (25 time x 2) + 5mins... it's usually pretty reliable as a ballpark, but given that you did your 25pb on a much faster course than the 50, it was always going to be a stretch, especially for your first effort.

Amazing cap to an amazing season, well done!
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 27 Sep 2014 20:01

Hah. At the start of the season I had my 50 target as sub 2:15. So about 3-4 mph up ;)

Up on Strava now. Too tired to pick the bones out of it at the moment to find where the missing 20-30w went, but will look in more detail tomorrow.
IanM

Postby IanM » 27 Sep 2014 20:04

Ewan wrote:Despite being slower than my prediction, that's a mad effort.

My prediction was the classic (25 time x 2) + 5mins... it's usually pretty reliable as a ballpark, but given that you did your 25pb on a much faster course than the 50, it was always going to be a stretch, especially for your first effort.

Amazing cap to an amazing season, well done!

Cheers Ewan. A few things slowed me down today, not least a rider down just before one of the islands and I stopped but was then told to go on by the marshal. Thankfully it sounds like the rider was ok, but took a while to get my head back into it.

Courses - it's basically the same course as the 25, just goes off on a detour, then further up the DC. One of the fastest, I think.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Sep 2014 20:06

The record books have been rewritten :)
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 28 Sep 2014 07:56

Some thoughts on yesterday:

* Attempting to ride a fast 50 mile TT on the back of no long rides is bloody stupid. By mile 37 I was in bits - I was frequently having to get out of the saddle to relieve the pressure briefly. There is no substitute for time in the saddle. By About mile 43 my legs were cramping, and on the verge of locking up....

* ... So it really didn't help that a couple of miles earlier I'd dropped my bottle just after the start of concrete mountain. I went to get a drink and fumbled it, braced for impact (bottle under the wheel), but thankfully it just went to the side. I'm normally completely fine with bottle in/out, but I was really on the limit at this point and my body wasn't completely playing ball. I could have done with those electrolytes...

* ... and as was pointed out to me by a friend afterwards, whilst telling her that I thought I'd over-hydrated in the run up to it, I didn't have nuun in my pre race water which probably contributed to the cramps (had similar at the very end of the 25 a couple of weeks ago). Lesson learned...

* ... and another lesson to learn is about how much water to drink, over how long. I'm usually quite good, but probably had too much yesterday. 2 wees at HQ, one at the warm up, yet I was still needing to go whilst lining up to start. That didn't help with the pain. I considered getting off near the far turn (short section of SC), as might have saved more time with comfort from the time lost peeing in a bush.

* And yet another lesson - it's been said before elsewhere, and I'll say it again - DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY - my arm rest pads had basically become wafer thin, so with comfort in mind I ordered a new set, which arrived on race morning. Put them on, but had the nagging idea that it might have been a bad plan - it was. The new pads, being much thicker, changed my position subtly, so that by mile 15 my shoulders were really hurting as they weren't used to the position. Although this pain was much easier to mentally deal with than the saddle area.

* Power was 20w+ down on target. Planned on 270w for the first hour, but just couldn't sustain it without needing to back off. Suspect it was a number of things - mentally preserving myself for an unknown time/distance, possible upcoming cold, and very poor sleep this week. Possibly also mentally wanting the upcoming rest. But I also think I need to ride more at 25/50 pace to get used to holding that power.

* I came upon a rider down about 20 miles in. Ambulance, backed up traffic, etc. Stopped at the scene but was told to go on by the marshal. It didn't really do a lot of good for my mental state, which took a few miles to deal with. A friend, on scene 20 minutes earlier whilst on for a barn storming ride, was really affected by it and DNFed. I thought at one point (after the turn) that the race was stopped as marshals were holding red flags at a couple of islands, but looked at me blankly when I asked if the race was cancelled. I remained unsure, but decided to press on as it would be a useful training session for 50s next year, if nothing else. Thankfully the rider 'only' had a broken collarbone, and apparently it was down to hitting a pothole. Edit: nothing broken, and the rider thinks she hit a patch of oil and lost the front.

* Rego + Compress sport: what a combination. Legs were in bits last night, but feel reasonable today. Could even go out and ride, quite happily, although I don't think that would go down well at home after being out for half the day yesterday ;)

* I'm looking forward to (hopefully!) doing the A district version of this race - almost the same course, but from the other side, so the slower part of the course is the first half.

* The course in general is super fast - being able to push 27+mph, 20w under target power, whilst going slightly uphill really screws with your head.

* Nutrition - tried SiS Go on Friday, and although it didn't seem to cause any issues I decided to stick with Nuun and a couple of gels. That 'worked', in so far as I didn't ever feel like I was on the verge of bonking, but it definitely was a faff to take the gels on board.

* I've seen a Falco bike in the flesh. Nice, I like, a lot. Not sure it would suit me fit wise, but it's an interesting bike, and didn't do Tops any harm yesterday (wasn't his bike I saw).

I think that covers everything... Didn't hang around for the full set of results, but there were (unsurprisingly) loads faster than me. Extrapolating from Strava, I'm probably bottom quarter / fifth.

Right then, one last fast 10 next Saturday, and then a much needed rest. High level plans for next year pretty much formulated already, more to come on that after next weekend.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 28 Sep 2014 08:35

Good work.

Awesome.

Let that soak in over the next couple of days an you will be flying. A 10 will feel so short....
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Worrying Will » 28 Sep 2014 11:13

Cracking ride. Some tough things to deal with as well that really effects things. all the issue and so sub 2. Just brilliant and. For me great to see the effort and what we Talog about on our rides come true. Well done
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby SickBoy » 28 Sep 2014 11:41

Awesome time, well done!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Time Trials