What does 45:43 for 25 miles look like?

What does 45:43 for 25 miles look like?

Postby Jack Hughes » 16 Sep 2014 15:47

Our favourite postie's Strava details for his recent competition record (minus the power data)

http://www.strava.com/activities/195265141

I think Alex Dowsett's 10 mile comp. record is on there somewhere too.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: What does 45:43 for 25 miles look like?

Postby IanM » 16 Sep 2014 15:55

50 mph downhill, and probably on the bars. Yikes.

I can see an entry for that course going in next year :D
IanM

Postby Ewan » 16 Sep 2014 16:12

Call me boring, but I just don't find these fast courses exciting... I far prefer 'fair' courses or courses towards the SPOCO end of the spectrum.

Still... that is silly fast however you look at it.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 16 Sep 2014 16:18

I love the sensation of riding at over 30mph for long periods, it's a fantastic buzz. So yep, I like fast courses :D Worth noting that last weekend's course in Blythe Bridge doesn't have a gift hill, it finishes at around the same elevation it starts at - so I'd like to see what I could do on a faster course.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 16 Sep 2014 16:21

Ewan wrote:Call me boring, but I just don't find these fast courses exciting... I far prefer 'fair' courses or courses towards the SPOCO end of the spectrum.

Still... that is silly fast however you look at it.

I concur. With this one. With the ski-slope start. However, I find riding the V718 a bit different. It's not so much that it feels like "cheating", it's just that it's not slow. The elevation profile isn't that bad (just the on-ramp from the start down onto the motorway, it is never really flat, just undulating. But the tarmac is good. And there probably is an effect from traffic - but you don't really feel like you are being pulled along. It is relatively sheltered though.

So you don't feel like the course is speeding you up, just not slowing you down.

It doesn't feel dangerous either - the traffic is light enough that (apart from one exception, i.e. an idiot) they will over take and pass you in the outside lane - so you never feel like you are being passed closely. I've had worse experiences on single carriageway with double-white lines...
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to Cycling Time Trials