Hell of the Worth 2014

Discuss upcoming races here

Hell of the Worth 2014

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Oct 2013 20:31

Starting to think about this.. but interested in the thoughts of those that did it last year.

We only managed about 2/3 of the planned route - and missed out some great climbs - Hainworth Lane and Thwaites Brow. Plus the two cobbled climbs in Haworth - and the only bit of the route that actually goes in the Worth Valley.

What to do?

Shorten the first part, e.g. by missing out Trooper Lane.

But I actually fancy adding in Mytholm Steeps, which will make it a bit longer. Could drop the buttress.

Or we could all just get a bit fitter and faster. This is probably a good idea.

Or perhaps have two groups - a lower speed doing the first half, and a faster group doing the second half.

Or we could do it as two stages, over a weekend. Although the second part is actually a lot shorter, so would have to be beefed up a bit. Which can be done.
Or do it as a morning ride. Lunch then an afternoon ride. Or a light lunch then a bigger dinner. e.g. a cafe break in Haworth, then an evening meal in the pub.
Perhaps do it on a Saturday, with an option for a Sunday ride if any one wants to stay over.

Or I could invent a completely different route. Although I quite liked the 2013 edition. And trooper lane was one of my favourite climbs.

Thoughts from the masses??????

I am of course assuming that some of you actually want to do it again.... :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: Hell of the Worth 2014

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Oct 2013 20:45

Work dependant,
One day, one ride, short cafe stop, and I will bring extra socks. Keeps it simple.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Worrying Will » 23 Oct 2013 21:00

1st of all i cant wait to do it again. I think I am lucky enough to have done nearly all of the climbs mentioned. If i had a choice these are the climbs I would want to do:-
Cragg Vale ( but it is out of the way)
Hainworth Lane
Thwaites Brow
Mytholm Steeps

I am happy not to do:-
Butttress
Shibden wall

Could it be amended so that we basically stay on the hebden side hill and sort of do the Friday night/Saturday route we did in the summer and pick up some of the tour route.

I did like the two day riding but I know it tought for most to get passes so i think one day is the answer. A good cafe stop will make it good followed nice pub tea. The only concern i have is that if i dont sort descending out it not going to be a pleasant day. we cant start any earlier as i was already up at 6
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 23 Oct 2013 21:09

I'm open to the various options, but I think we struggled to do the full intended course due to some early faffing about - various bikes needing fettling, some (a?) wrong turns, and the pervading sense of fear of the unknown not exactly encouraging us all to get moving quite quick enough when we do have to pause.
IanM

Postby Worrying Will » 23 Oct 2013 21:17

I would say the pace cant be much quicker though. As i found the rest riding between each climb helpfull.
Worrying Will

Postby Big_Show » 23 Oct 2013 21:23

Sort of tempted. Doubt I'd survive though. Is your area at all connected to the East Coast Mainline, I'm train-dependent.
Big_Show

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 23 Oct 2013 21:33

If were organised to be a Saturday event, (morning and afternoon is fine, I'll use Friday/Sunday as travel days) starting and finishing somewhere in the vicinity of a Travelodge/Premier Inn/Ibis so I have a cheap bed to sleep in, and on a weekend that didn't conflict with the major events calendar then I might see if I can make it up for a weekend of being brutalised (coach permission permitting) by Mr Castle
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Oct 2013 21:38

Options.. Options... Options...

Shibden wall isn't as hard as Trooper Lane.

9am Start

Part I (South)
1) Shibden Wall, 2) Trooper Lane, 3) Gibbet Street, 4) Old Lane (Luddenden), Flat bit, [5) The Buttress or Mytholm Steeps], 6) Cock Hill from the South, [Option to Return to Start via 7) Oxenhope to Dog and Gun]

Part 2 (North)
7) Butt Lane, Haworth (Cafe Break aka Lunch), 8) Main Street Haworth, 9) Tim Lane, [or Lunch at the Turkey Inn], 10) Goose Eye, Easy bit through Keighley, 11) Thwaites Brow, 12) Hainworth Lane, Bit of recovery, 13) Brow Top/Black Moor Road, Finish.

Cobbles are:

Shibden Wall, Trooper Lane, Old Lane, The Buttress, Butt Lane, Main Street Haworth, Thwaites Brow, Hainworth Lane

Gentle Road Climbs are Gibbet Street, Cock Hill

Hard Road Climbs are Mytholm Steeps, Tim Lane, Goose Eye, Brow Top/Black Moor Road.

If I had the bandwidth, I'd plot it on Strava....
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Worrying Will » 23 Oct 2013 21:39

There a great travel lodge in halifax, Stayed there with the kids.
Worrying Will

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Oct 2013 21:46

ECML to Leeds

Leeds to either Bingley or Keighley, then Steam Train to Oxenhope :D or ride up the hill from Bingley or Keighley. 25 mins ride from these.

There's better value places than Travelodge or Premier Inn at hand. Plenty of really nice B&Bs abound.

Leeming Wells Hotel is next door to the pub that is the start and finish. £75 quid a night. B&B can be had for at least half that.

£75 is how much the Premier Inn and Travelodge cost at short notice. The Halifax ones are the newest. Looking at prices for April booking now, they are a bit cheaper!
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Next

Return to Events