The Polish Triple

Discuss upcoming races here

Re: The Polish Triple

Postby Bendy Ben » 14 Aug 2014 11:39

It's not a touring trip :o

The way I see it is we have 12hrs to get the mileage done, then 12hrs to rest and eat.

Might make it 7 days :lol: :lol:

The others - so far one is more than capable and the other needs to get back on his bike. ;)

And then there's me. Better get doing something....
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 14 Aug 2014 12:10

Moff wrote:1000 miles over six days gives you an average distance of 167 miles per day. That's eight hours solid cycling each day minimum. The question is whether you can all maintain that pace for six continuous days.

It's about 1300km, 800 miles, according to Ben's route map. Some of which is Channel.

100 miles per day would be a reasonable target.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 14 Aug 2014 12:27

Bendy Ben wrote:It's not a touring trip :o

Some perspective: you are planning to ride 40% of the distance the Tour de France riders do, in 28% of the time they take, with your average day being 20 miles longer than their longest day. Thats after a HIM and an OD

Think for this to succeed you need (and afford to be) to be more realistic.

Does your route take into account cycle friendly roads? Or is it down the AutoBahn and Autoroute? I'd say a support car is essential for this, someone to take the luggage to keep your bike light, someone who can refill bottles and provide food en route.

What about bike and position? 24hr Turbo Torment destroyed my wrists; I got cyclists palsy from spending too long on drop handlebars. I'd say at the minimum you'd need clip on tri bars, or maybe even touring bars. Saddle sores are another very real prospect.

Then there is the issue of training for it, getting your body used to being in a riding position for 12 hours a day, day after day.

You can pull this off (now now Kev), and I'm certain everyone here is behind you, you just need to get planning and training!
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 14 Aug 2014 12:50

Maybe forget the OD then ?

The ride home post race is what I'm interested in.

Salient points as ever jibby

With regards to routing I'm yet to explore this. Maybe I need to garmin a route from postcode to postcode and see what happens.

To be honest there are a few things I need to square away before I think about the actual planning stage.

A bike fit will be required and I'm not going it on my Kebel - it's far too aggressive
Bendy Ben

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 14 Aug 2014 18:44

If the OD is something you want to do, do it! My point was that when saying 6 days you should account for 2 days hard racing first. Be great to see you conquer this, so don't want you to see you set yourself up for failure by trying to do more than is possible!

Have a look at http://bikeroutetoaster.com You can plug in a start and end point, tell it you are on a bike, and that you want to avoid unpaved bike paths. It'll spit out a long route and you can use that to break it into manageable chunks and individually route those sections.

Have you spoken to Lynne? Sure she'll have some great advice after her long distance exploits!
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 14 Aug 2014 21:00

Jibby

That's a great link - cheers

And I'll be heading up to Bridgtown to chat with Lynne as soon as the home stuff is finished in the next couple of weeks
Bendy Ben

Postby Bendy Ben » 14 Aug 2014 21:01

Ps a thinking drive over, race, then we will have a mini bus for return leg driven by a medic friend and or a sports consultant Dr friend in case things really go bent.
Bendy Ben

Previous

Return to Events