Hoka Clifton Road Trainers

Got a new shiny piece of kit? Or something tried and trusted? Tell us about it.

Hoka Clifton Road Trainers

Postby Seasider71 » 26 Mar 2015 13:54

Watch this space........
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Hoka Clifton Road Trainers

Postby CCS » 26 Mar 2015 14:39

Funnily enough, was going to start a post on exactly the same topic...
The jury here is still out (largely because this juror has been spending all her time cycling, so hasn't actually done any running worth mentioning as yet...)
... but being not exactly of a minimalist (or efficient) nature myself, logic dictates that maximalism may be the way to go footwear-wise.
Will be v. interested to hear what you think...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Seasider71 » 05 Apr 2015 11:28

Ok, First run out in the Hoka One One Clifton Trainers (Blue),

I have found that on long runs 15m+ my feet started to fall apart when wearing my Newton trainers, it is the same across the range of pairs I have, mostly from the hard impact below the ball of the foot.

I went for these trainers on the advice of numerous Ultra marathon runners, as I am aiming to take part in some ultra events in the future. I picked the Clifton version, as it had the lowest drop from heal to toe (2mm) and I am transferring from Newton's to these trainers and wanted to keep the foot placement roughly similar, although the Hoka's are designed for heel striking (which generally happens when my legs get tired).

Upon delivery I took them out of the box and was amazed at how light they were, even lighter than my Newton Gravity III's. For such a lot of trainer I don't know where the weight goes (apart from in them :lol: )

I quickly ditched the standard laces and replaced them with a pair of elastic knotted ones (lime green naturally). I have also paired these up with a pair of injinji lightweight no show toe socks - again on advice from the ultra club to hopefully prevent blistering, which has also been an issue over long distance.

Only a short 7km run (I haven't run for a bit so gradually getting my legs working again), WOW, they felt like running in slippers, I went for a size smaller than my normal 10, so 9.5 and my right foot is in comfort heaven, however my left foot (must be the slightly bigger one) is pressed a little on my big toe, but I think a few runs will sort this out. The shoes are so light you can't really feel them when lifting your feet, and foot placement has a lovely cushioned feel - the result though is a speed sapping - these are not flat out running trainers, as they will take at least 10s per Km out of your time, but your feet will thank you for it over long distances.

I will keep you updated on the progress / wear of these trainers as I go along.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Apr 2015 13:40

Put one on the kitchen scales, and see how much it weighs.

You may regain the 10 secs (and maybe more) with the lower weight.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby scibby » 07 Apr 2015 07:36

I've just googled it as was similarly intrigued by weight: Clifton is 220gr per men size 9. Which is a lot lighter than the other shoes in the brand which are about 320g...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby scibby » 07 Apr 2015 07:38

So lighter than a 'normal' shoe. And flatter ie minimal drop too, but more cushioned overall and bulkier....

And uglier...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Jack Hughes » 07 Apr 2015 08:25

I think inov8 use a size 8... So that's certainly comparable with their weights. Only the racing ones are lighter. (I have 233, 212 and 155g ones. The size 10 155 weighs 185g)

So, a very light shoe considering the cushioning. The question then is how many miles it is good for.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 07 Apr 2015 10:31

Been for a couple of runs (!) in mine now (... that's a couple of runs since January.... how neglectful of me...).
First run - ended up with a blister on the inside of the arch of my left foot - after about 6km. Decided to fiddle around with the insoles a bit - and go for both the provided pairs at once instead of just one set; 7km yesterday with no blister (shame that my legs were so tired after skiing that I could hardly move though). Definitely super comfortable!

P.S. I went for the neon yellow option; rather fetchingly teamed with a pair of high viz socks.... couldn't see any of the hoards of people enjoying the spring sunshine along the canal towpath obviously pointing and laughing....

P.P.S. I did weigh them when they arrived.... and much lighter than my usual Newtons (though can't remember how much exactly)
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 07 Apr 2015 10:42

Hmmm. They are a bit "special" to look at.

Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 07 Apr 2015 11:00

That's why I chose the full neon yellow.... that way, the sole sort of blends into the rest of the shoe more... (and I am in no danger of getting lost on a foggy day)
CCS

Next

Return to Kit Reviews