First DNF feeling s@#t

General chat and questions go here

First DNF feeling s@#t

Postby Messer » 06 Oct 2013 14:29

Well just sharing my suffering just DNF'd at Challenge Barcelona because I'm shit.
First time I've not completed and I feel utter shit not sure how I can face breakfast in the hotel tomorrow with everyone wearing the finishers shirts.
What to do and where to go, do I Come back next year to prove a point or do I concede that I cannot swim and move on with my plans of Ultra Marathon.

£400 seems a lot for two hours of swimming.

Suggestions and piss taking welcome.
Yep that's right I am an Ironman.......
Messer

Re: First DNF feeling s@#t

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 Oct 2013 14:32

Oh that sucks. What went wrong. No sense in piss taking without knowing the full story.

On the plus side, at least it makes your race report easier to write than most long distance races :D
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Messer » 06 Oct 2013 14:45

Not sure what went wrong spanking shiny new wet suit is a bit short on the body and will be on eBay by the end of the day and I haven't been swimming enough.
Had no speed in water I resorted to breast stroke in the end cos that was moving me quicker through the water very weird. The swim cut off was 2hrs for my start time and on the 2hr mark I still had 300 to go :cry: .

On the plus side excellent course and great rucksack at registration which I now can't use...
And I bought a very nice event cycling top which I now can't wear...

I think I underestimated it having finished Wales last year thought this would be simples.. :oops:

Well off to binge on kebab and beer see if that improves my mood..... :D
Messer

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 Oct 2013 14:55

Oh dear, sounds like a tough morning in the water then. Still a 1 lap swim? It's a long old way when you see it like that!

Well off to binge on kebab and beer see if that improves my mood..... :D

Head to the Uruguayan restaurant (Luna Guacha) and order the meat platter for 2 if you haven't been there already. Simply Amazing!

(yes I have eaten a whole one of those :roll: )
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Messer » 06 Oct 2013 15:05

Yeah single loop. The back straight was a real slog pissed off to get so close I reckon if I had gone to the mighty breast stroking earlier I may have just crept in on time. That looks like a fine plate of meat I may have to try one.

Cheers.
Messer

Postby andyb99 » 06 Oct 2013 15:52

look mate dont beat yourself up too much...you have nothing to prove to anybody ...maybe you did underestimate it....maybe it just wasnt your day...these things happen (it happened to MrsB and a mate of mine (Steve Leonard...whose a 12 hour finisher at imuk).
its just one of those things...nobody died and you'll be stronger for it!!!
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Blurredgirl » 06 Oct 2013 15:53

Poor you, that's pants.

Do you think you might have had a panic attack at the start of the swim? I get this and have hung off canoes and DNFed before because of this, despite being a very strong open-water swimmer. This may explain why you felt so bad in the water.

Eat lots, drink lots and don't beat yourself up.

BG
Lost in Transition
http://www.mellowvelos.com
Blurredgirl
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby S11 » 06 Oct 2013 16:35

What is the wettie....

Sucks about the dnf but if you know where it went wrong and the desire to fix it is there then go back.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Latinobeat » 06 Oct 2013 17:03

A slight positive perhaps is that you didn't give up you were stopped. Eat drink wander around the Ramblas, and reflect on why but don't dwell on it. You are an Ironman and a DNF doesn't change that!
I'd go with the alloys and lose a few pounds!
Latinobeat
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby Jack Hughes » 06 Oct 2013 17:04

It's happened. It's now in the past.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down. Work out what went wrong. Then prepare for the next challenge.

It's only when things go wrong that we learn. It's not the falling down that matters, it's the getting up after.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Next

Return to General Discussion