New to the BCTTT Forum? Introduce yourself here......

General chat and questions go here

Re: New to the BCTTT Forum? Introduce yourself here......

Postby flavadave » 11 Mar 2010 18:00

ris wrote:he's from the north rain, so surely it's wet rain, seriously

Worthy of Richard Stilgoe himself!
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Goose » 13 Mar 2010 15:30

Hi all, just recently moved over from 220 triathlon forum aka ministryofsound.
Residing in the valleys of south wales been in triathlon for 1 year now mainly sprint last year, enjoying some top 25 finishes. Moving up this year towards ironman next year. Few olys planned but mainly breaking the individual event s down to concentrate on weaknesses. Completed the cardiff and LLanelli half marathons recently sub 1hr 30 and looking to complete a few long distance bike sportives in preparation. Just need to get over my fear of open water swimming.

Been a member of pencoed tri club in south wales, but looking to join BCTTT for the forseable.
Goose
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Postby Sir Conehead » 13 Mar 2010 16:01

sub 1hr 30m half marathon :shock:

You sound a but fast for us Goose! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to have you on board - you are now truly plumbing the depths of triathlon's underbelly......
Sir Conehead

Postby willy_1977 » 13 Mar 2010 16:08

Goose sub 1hr 30... :o nice going!

Were there no good pubs on the way round? :D

I'm finding this bunch of folks a really good bunch...maybe because I'm working up to their level though :lol:
Venimus, vidimus, bibimus.
1st 4lbs so far...
willy_1977

Postby Goose » 13 Mar 2010 16:12

Don't think ill be that quick coming off a 90KM bike ride.
Goose
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Postby jonathon.e » 13 Mar 2010 16:29

Sub 1hr 30m

where's my coat?

Welcome Goose
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Atomic » 14 Mar 2010 10:41

Hi all...........Here is my story..........and how it all started

I'm 36 years old, married with 2 kids and work as an Engineer for a fairly large company.
Last year I weighed 17stone 8lbs and my exersize consisted of a walk to the pub and back very regularly.

The company that I work for were running what they called a 'life/work balance scheme', but in reality it was a get fit group and consisted of people doing talks on sport, a weight watchers group, etc. They also started a lunch time running club with a programme to get people running 5km in 6 weeks. Now, I've always hated running (think it stems from doing cross country in the middle of winter on a muddy field field at school) and I was far too embarased to start thinking about running with a load of people from my work, but my wife (who also works for the same company) used to run competitively in her younger years and was quite keen to start running again, and somehow, managed to persuade me to give the programme a shot, so we decided to start doing to programme on our own at home.

The programme started with a run for a minute walk for a minute 10 times and boy did I struggle. The run a minute seemed to last for ever and the walk was never long enough. I stuck with it though (always looking forward to the walking section) and the programme quickly ramped up with the running sections getting longer, and the walking parts getting shorter and less frequent. At the end of the 6 weeks we had to try for a full 5km run with no stops and I was really nervous.

The day for the full 5km came and I nailed it. "Thats it" i thought " I've done it, no more training" (how wrong I was) but sitting in the house a couple of days later I just fancied another run, then another, and another. BANG...........I was hooked on the rush that I was getting from this and started looking for more.

It was about this time that I started browsing through the internet and stumbled upon triathlon. I was intrigued by it all and started regularly checking up on the forum pages (but never posting). I took out a couple of magazine subscriptions and just couldn't get enough.

I then joined a gym (with a pool) and started incorporating that into my running schedule and started putting together sessions on CV equipment and weights (I had never been in a gym before in my life so had a bit of help from the staff). I also got back into swimming (which I used to do competitively when at school) and found that it didn't take too much time to start racking up the distances I was swimming.

The old mountain bike got brought out of the shed and after a quick dust down and a bit of an oiling was put back into use. I loved being out on my bike again and, yet again, it wasn't too long before I was racking up the mileage. It was during one of these rides that someone on a shiny new carbon Bianchi overtook me though and I was gobsmacked at the beauty of the bike, and I wanted one. I enquired at work about the Cycle to work scheme and before long had ordered myself a new carbon road bike. The 6 week wait for my bike had started but in the meantime I borrowed an old racer (older than me I think) and started getting out on that.

I then took the plunge and entered my first race. Cheshire Sprint Triathlon on 23rd May. I knew that I could do all the distances individually, now I just needed to put them all together.

I realised that I needed a bit of structure to my training so in the new year I started following the free 12 week off season training plan that I got from the 220 web site. I started following it religiously and surprised my self at what I could do.

I also found a local tri club and seen that they had an offer on of free membership and coaching until April, so promptly joined up and started going to their coached swimming sessions (as I didn't have my bike yet and couldn't make the running) and found that I managed not to make a fool of myself.

My new bike arrived and I am now concentrating on my riding. Trying to get the miles in and my speed up.

I am currently at week 10 of my 12 week training schedule and am loving every part of it. I now look forward to getting out either swimming, running or cycling. My kids are now getting interested in training also ( which means a lot to me and is a great way to spend my rest days), I have lost over 4 stone in weight, none of my old clothes fit me anymore, I feel like I have a strange addiction for carbon and lycra, I look forward to training sessions and miss them dreadfully on my rest days, I feel like I have a bit of purpose about myself now, and have never felt happier. All this within 8 months time.

I have awarded myself a holiday (to coincide with a rest week of my training plan though ) and am currently working on a new training plan to start in April. I now feel that the Cheshire sprint tri is too far away to wait so am now looking for some earlier ones. I'm also looking at OD tris for later in the year. What has probably scared me the most though is that a thought has got in to my head that there is a chance of a HIM next year and maybe even a (dare I say it) IM the following year.

Sorry about rambling on.

Addictive?...........Noooooooo
Atomic
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby jrhunt78 » 14 Mar 2010 11:18

Atomic - Hat's off - bloody good work fella!
jrhunt78
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby 45Cdo » 14 Mar 2010 12:38

Well done Atomic and welcome to all new members!
45Cdo
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby moonshine » 14 Mar 2010 14:00

Goose wrote:Hi all, just recently moved over from 220 triathlon forum aka ministryofsound.
Residing in the valleys of south wales been in triathlon for 1 year now mainly sprint last year, enjoying some top 25 finishes. Moving up this year towards ironman next year. Few olys planned but mainly breaking the individual event s down to concentrate on weaknesses. Completed the cardiff and LLanelli half marathons recently sub 1hr 30 and looking to complete a few long distance bike sportives in preparation. Just need to get over my fear of open water swimming.

Been a member of pencoed tri club in south wales, but looking to join BCTTT for the forseable.

Another Welshie yippee
Thought I recognised the blur that went past me in Llanelli :)
You doing Cardiff Try a tri again or are you to quick now?
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion