It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

General chat and questions go here

It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

Postby Jimba » 30 Mar 2018 09:28

So, a marathon. Never done one and until 6 weeks ago the furthest I had ever run was about 22k. Hankered for doing one the last couple of years and was building to it, hitting peak training last May when I did 360k in the month. Niggle after niggle meant training was cut back, but by November was back to decent volumes, last couple of weeks hitting 90k Ave for each. Looking good for a spring marathon in 2018.

A paltry 30k in December due to niggle (I am avoiding the “i” word!) During all this time, TT bike and turbo are stolen so I am not even doing that.

Jan 100k an improvement but not marathon training volume. Mid January I hear about the Naseby 16.45 mile event in Feb and decide I will have a go.

First week of Feb 60k.....getting there.
Followed by 10 day “taper” :lol: total 20 k and then the event. 2.06 for 16.45 miles...not too shabby. So decided on Oundle 20 miles to test whether a shot at 3.20 at the MK marathon on 7 May was feasible. That would give me gfa for London next year.

Deep down I want a sub 3 before I hang up my running shoes. Performance falls off a cliff after the age of 55 so the clock is ticking very loudly for me on that one.

The dilemma is that I have been able to pick up the volume to do this but as soon as I try to pick up the pace/intensity I tend to start breaking. So the plan this time round is to pick up some volume with some intensity but supplement this with a good chunk of turbo training.

Elite Direto bought late Feb and since then have been doing a range of times and efforts on it (this will also help to bring my weight down to a reasonable level for distance running).

Three weeks leading up to Oundle were about 25k running and three hours turbo each.

Oundle 20 mile, 2.34, almost bang on 3.20 pace but hilly.

Plan for MK is to get some longer runs in. I cannot rely on general aerobic fitness. The killer stats are......since 1 Dec I have run:
Over 5 miles 6 times
Over 10k 5 times
Over 10 miles 2 times (both races!)
28k per week Ave. :o

Not the ideal base, I have 5 weeks......let’s see.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

Postby jonathon.e » 30 Mar 2018 10:25

Not the ideal base ??
But still a base none the less.

Total bugger about the bike theft :o shocked !!
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 31 Mar 2018 19:52

Turbo. stolen?

Hmmmm. Have you been able to establish a motive? Probably dealing with someone very deranged here.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 01 Apr 2018 11:29

Small comfort was I didn’t like the turbo but couldn’t justify getting a new one, obviously I the. Could and like the Direto.

Week 1 - recovery after last Sunday’s race. 43k run total including a 10miler on Saturday all pretty steady about 4.5 hours total. Two hours turbo spinning.

Week 2 - plan is to just do as much as I can in the week, work permitting, next weekend is daughters wedding and will be a write off in terms of training :P
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Kevy427 » 02 Apr 2018 11:12

Sorry to hear about the bike theft; all covered under insurance I hope?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jimba » 02 Apr 2018 19:29

Kevy427 wrote:Sorry to hear about the bike theft; all covered under insurance I hope?

:oops: :twisted: :oops: :shock: :evil:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 03 Apr 2018 11:53

Congratulations for the forthcoming daughters wedding. :D

As your MK Marathon is the same day as IM Aus. I expect to start about 7:30 ( rolling start ), Port MacQuarie is 9hrs ahead, you are looking for approx three hours starting at 10 am, I hope to be around fifteen hours, anyone up for a side bet on who will cross their respective finish lines first given the time difference ???
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 03 Apr 2018 18:42

jonathon.e wrote:Congratulations for the forthcoming daughters wedding. :D

As your MK Marathon is the same day as IM Aus. I expect to start about 7:30 ( rolling start ), Port MacQuarie is 9hrs ahead, you are looking for approx three hours starting at 10 am, I hope to be around fifteen hours, anyone up for a side bet on who will cross their respective finish lines first given the time difference ???

Thanks Jon, working on the speech tonight!

That’s going to be a tight call on first to finish :o

I guess my time is more predictable than yours so it’s all down to you :lol: :lol:

Not sure if MK has live tracking for a BCTTT forum tracking frenzy :lol: :lol:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 03 Apr 2018 18:51

Tracking updates might be via your phone as you run.
My bad :oops: thought the race was on the Sunday, not the bank holiday Monday, so it won't be what I envisaged, it would not be the first time I got race dates mixed up :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Best of luck with the speech :D I am sure it will go well.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 07 Apr 2018 12:54

jonathon.e wrote: thought the race was on the Sunday, not the bank holiday Monday, so it won't be what I envisaged

You could always go a bit slower ;)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Next

Return to General Discussion