Electric Bikes

General chat and questions go here

Re: Electric Bikes

Postby Jimba » 29 May 2017 14:22

jonathon.e wrote:Best of luck with the GFA, Jimba.

The pedal assist bikes would be great for the group. A number of places do hire me them out in the uk, and are getting more popular abroad. Mrs J. is enjoying getting out and if I go out with her on my MTB, the acceleration and ease that she proceeds up inclines is noticeable. By careful useage of the power assist, the range is quite staggering.

Cheers Jon. Have a 10m in July, a hm in Aug and then mara in Sept, but it's not a flat one and it will be my first so in the absence of a witch to analyse the data it's all a bit unknown......
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 26 May 2019 12:08

Jimba wrote:Never used one but I think they are a great idea, I have been on a group week away cycling for the last 13/14 years and one or two have dropped out because they can't take the hills, this would be ideal for them.

One triathlon for me so far this year but mainly running. Aiming for a gfa marathon time later in the year.

Spent a week in Portugal, not far from Faro and hired some bikes. Mrs J used an E-Mtb, slightly different to her own as the pedal assist came from the rear hub, not the bottom bracket, she is quoted as saying ' she had to brake going uphill ', whilst I sweated.

If you are thinking of a cycling holiday in the area I recommend Martins E-bikes.
They dropped off at the villa, picked up on time, and for five days the cost was a reasonable €229.

https://www.martinsebike.com
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 27 May 2019 08:05

Cheers Jon nice to know, good sneaky bit of training whilst on holiday too :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Bopomofo » 04 Jun 2019 10:42

I was having a think about e-bikes and I have decided that with a little bit more technology (which may already have been invented, I need to do some research) would have me at the bike shop shouting "Take my money!"

Here's the pitch:

I like to do structured workouts, like Sufferfest. Very specific, customised interval sessions with very precise goals and defined outcomes. I also like riding my bike outside because it is wonderful.

The two things don't go together very easily and a lack of time means I often have to choose one or the other: riding outside doesn't hit my specific workout / fitness goals; riding inside doesn't give me lovely views of the South Downs or the feeling of the wind in my scalp.

If I try to take my structured workout outdoors it quickly goes wrong: I could be on a rest interval asking for just 100W at 90rpm as I arrive at the bottom of a hill. I don't have a gear for that. Or I could crest the top of the same hill just as I'm required to produce 230W @ 60rpm on the descent. Again, no gear for that.

But if I had an e-bike that I could load my workout file into, that could provide me with the assistance to ensure I'm putting the right power into the pedals on that uphill and could use regenerative braking to make me work my backside off on that downhill (while usefully recharging my battery) then I can really have the best of both worlds.

I'd buy it.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 04 Jun 2019 20:04

Bopomofo wrote:I was having a think about e-bikes and I have decided that with a little bit more technology (which may already have been invented, I need to do some research) would have me at the bike shop shouting "Take my money!"

Here's the pitch:

I like to do structured workouts, like Sufferfest. Very specific, customised interval sessions with very precise goals and defined outcomes. I also like riding my bike outside because it is wonderful.

The two things don't go together very easily and a lack of time means I often have to choose one or the other: riding outside doesn't hit my specific workout / fitness goals; riding inside doesn't give me lovely views of the South Downs or the feeling of the wind in my scalp.

If I try to take my structured workout outdoors it quickly goes wrong: I could be on a rest interval asking for just 100W at 90rpm as I arrive at the bottom of a hill. I don't have a gear for that. Or I could crest the top of the same hill just as I'm required to produce 230W @ 60rpm on the descent. Again, no gear for that.

But if I had an e-bike that I could load my workout file into, that could provide me with the assistance to ensure I'm putting the right power into the pedals on that uphill and could use regenerative braking to make me work my backside off on that downhill (while usefully recharging my battery) then I can really have the best of both worlds.

I'd buy it.

This could be your Dragons Den moment :D

E bikes are limited to power output of 250w, but, you can get delimiters ( illegal ).
However, the problem is the programmable interface. I have not seen one that has a display that shows the power output the rider is putting in. The alternate option being to go old Skool and use HR. If the schedule shows the need to do a rest interval of 90bpm and you hit the steepest hill on the ride then the bike is put into max assist, but it is not an ideal solution.

If I come across any other solutions I will post.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Previous

Return to General Discussion